questions about scanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about scanning

I just purchased the professional version of the software and have a few questions.

1. We have a page on our intranet that we call the employee diredctory. It has all of our employees pictures along with what department they are in and a little more info about the employee. When i scan this page with zoom and upload the files i get an "Out of memory" error when doing any search. When i put the employee page in the skip box everythign works fine.????

2. We use a lot of .doc, .pdf, and .xls files. We link the files from our intranet to a drive letter on our network. We will have say a form linked from the intranet to G:\marketing\form.doc... When scanning the intranet it doesnt seem to be scannin any of our plugin files. Will the plugins only scan files that are in the same directory as the website???

Thanks,
    James

1. Are you using the PHP version? If so, refer to this FAQ:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...hp_outofmemory

2. Are you using spider mode for indexing your intranet? This would require files to be served via HTTP (ie: a web server). Your links to "G:\marketing\form.doc" etc would not be available through your web server. Perhaps you should try "Offline mode" which is for indexing files on a local (or network) hard disk. You will have to specify the additional paths/folders by clicking on "More", since it will not follow hypertext links, but will scan all files and folders under a certain path.

And no, the plugin will scan files from any folder or path, so long as the links can be found and they are accessible. Turn on verbose mode if you need to see the reasons why certain files are skipped or not indexed.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

1. I am using the asp version with our IIS server.

2. I am using the Intranet search since we are using IIS as our web server. We have links on the intranet that link to say a word document on our G drive. I turned on verbose mode and it says

skipping file:///G:/intranet/filename.doc (external site does not match base url)

any ideas anyone?

Comment

1/ Can you post the exact error message, with line number etc. How much RAM is in your server? How much is free? How big are your index files? Which version of Zoom are you using?

2/ So if I understand what you are saying; You are using Spider mode in Zoom to search your intranet site. Your Spider mode start point would be something like, http://ourwebsite/index.html

The indexing works OK, except when it gets to a document with a URL like g:\intranet\filename.doc and then it skips this file. If this a correct summary of the problem?

One solution would be to move your documents so that they are part of your web site and access then with a URL rather than a file path. At the moment Zoom thinks the documents are external to your web site (and they are).

------
        David

Comment

Working...
        X