Wildcards without *

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildcards without *

Is there a way to specify Zoom to search for wildcards even if someone doesn't put the * after the search term?

There is an option under the "Languages" tab in the Configuration window to perform "Substring match for all searches". If you enable this, a search for "car" would be the same as searching for "*car*".

This option was designed for asian languages which do not have spaces separating words (eg. chinese, japanese)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Raymond!

I thought that there was an option, but I couldn't remember where it was!

Shawn

Comment

Hi Raymond,

I just tested it and it works as you mentioned. In fact, a little too good! Is there a way I can set it so that it searches for wildcards after the typed word and not before?

so....

system*
        NOT *system*

Thanks,
        Shawn

Comment

There's no built-in feature to force all searches to be like "car*". You would have to modify the script (if you're using the PHP, ASP or Javascript versions) if you wish to do this. This would require some familiarity with the scripting language in question (we can not provide support for modified scripts). Alternatively, you can use a bit of Javascript on the search page to append "*"s to the end of each word in the search query.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

That's what I ended up doing.... Using a little Java, I appended a * to any spaces and one to the end and it works like a charm.

Thanks,
            Shawn

Comment

Working...
            X