Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug with x (greek x)

Hi.

When I index the site, every word that contains the Greek letter x is not listed as it should. More specifically, I noticed that beofre and after "x" there is always a space.

For example: If a have a word, lets say: aaxaa then if I type "aaxaa" in the search box then the search returns no results. If I type aa x aa all pages with that word are listed but the word is displayed as aa x aa. When you visit the page, there is nothing wrong with the spelling. OK, maybe all this sound all Greek to you....but I would appreciate some help on that since I am considering purchasing the program.

thank you all.

Did you select the appropriate encoding for your website in the configuration window? (click "Configure" -> "Language"). What charset or encoding does your website use?

I assume this is not the normal "x" character as seen in your post, but a character which resembles "x" and is only available in the Greek character set. Is your website online somewhere? Give us the URL and we can take a look at what you mean.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Fixed!

Hi Raymond

Well...I have switched to CGI and after I set the language selection the error is fixed. I will check with my provider to see if CGI (win) is fine ( have tested locally only) and get back to you for the ASP option.

Regarding .PDF and .doc files. Does it work in the same way as with HTML? When indexing the site scans all docs and pdf?

Also....when I upload a new PDF do I need to re-index the whole site?

Thank you for your assistance.

Jason

Comment

OK!!!

EVERYTHING WORKS WELL NOW. Tested it with ASP and CGI. No bug with letters etc. It was the language setting that caused the initial "error".

Could you please check my questions for PDF, DOC and re-indexing the site? Also....is there a way for re-indexing remotely? (web interface)

Thank you

Jason

Comment

It should work with PDF, DOC etc. although it may depend on the encoding. We haven't tested it with Greek, but let us know if you have any specific problems and we'll try to address them.

And yes, you will need to re-index the whole site if you add files to your site. Incremental indexing is something we're hoping to add in a future version.

As for re-indexing remotely - the Indexer can run on a Windows based server, and there are a number of ways to index with a pre-defined configuration file which requires no user interaction. We have some users who have created PHP and ASP scripts, which, when accessed over the web, will execute the Indexer on the server using their pre-defined configuration.

Alternatively you can schedule the Indexer to automatically index on a regular basis and avoid the need for remote access to the indexer.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X