Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display files in more than one catagory

Hi there!

Is it possible to display a file, e.g. a pdf-document in more than one category? On my webserver are serveral files in different thematic folders. I want these files to be shown in the thematic category AND in a filetype-based category.

Example:
    A pdf-document for teaching text processing should be shown in the categories text processing AND pdf-documents.

Can you help me?
    Thanks, Peter

At the moment in the current release of the software (V4) a document can only appear in a single category plus the 'All' category.

You could maybe get around this by having several copies of the same document in different directories. But it isn't a really nice solution.

Or you culd create a HTML document that had a summary of the PDF in the thematic section of the site. Plus a link to the PDF.

We are going to look at improving the flexibility of the categories feature for the next release but it a little way off at the moment.

David

[Update 5/Dec/06 - V5 now contains a more flexible categories fucntion]
    Last edited by David; Dec-05-2006, 05:25 AM. Reason: Added comment about V5

Comment

I am just putting my 2 cents in... I too am interested in having the ability for a file to appear in multiple categories.

(If that matters or helps along the process)

Comment

I would also add my request for a feature to add a document to multiple categories. E.g., an organization has three publications (pub a, pub b and pub c) that you may want to search individually or in any of them.

The only way I have been able to accomplish this is to create a separate, more limited search database for that web site section where "All" essentially becomes the publication "category" (but then there is no ability to search the entire site from that point).

Another potential way to provide this funcitonality would be to allow selecting multiple search categories on the search form (which I saw requested in another thread). So in the example above, there is no overall "publication" category but a user could select "pub a", "pub b" and "pub c" to do the equivalent.

Thank you for an extremely affordable and useful product!

-Chris

Comment

We'll look into this. It is good that people post their interest about it, because it helps us to judge what requests are more in demand than others.

Another brief note - in the case of the original poster, you can somewhat workaround to searching for PDFs only within a category - if you have filenames enabled for indexing, and you don't have a separate category for PDF files.

You can then search within your selected category, with the additional keyword of "*.pdf" and select "match all searchwords".

That way, a search for "flowers *.pdf" in category "Products" would return all PDF files with the word "flowers" in them, from the category "Products". However, it may also return any HTML files that contain a ".pdf" filename in the content.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

This is also an important feature for me as I would like to create categories based on file name as well as topic.

Comment

Working...
            X