Indexing long titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing long titles

Our titles are loooong. For example, one of our title is as follows: <title>The Barbecue Store - Venison Cajun Chili Mix - For all your Barbecue, Barbeque & BBQ outdoor needs!</title> We do it long to get better search engines results which has worked for us.

But, when indexing the title for ZoomSearch purposes, all of the title is displayed which is simply anoying to the reader.

So, when I fix the start and resume tags into the title to have it index just the product name, I see in the browser the following: <title><!--ZOOMSTOP-->The Barbecue Store - <!--ZOOMRESTART-->Venison Cajun Chili Mix<!--ZOOMSTOP--> - For all your Barbecue, Barbeque & BBQ outdoor needs!<!--ZOOMRESTART--></title> which is anoying when bookmarking the site and ultimately the major search engines.

My question: Is there a way to have a long title but shorten it for ZoomSearch?

For HTML files, Zoom always uses the <title> tag as the title of the document.

There is no way to automatically shorten the title in Zoom without writing some custom code.

Comment

To elaborate on this, Zoom currently truncates titles when they exceed 512 characters.

However, there is no easy way to shorten your title methodically at this point unless you write code to filter out parts of the title in the search script.

We have been considering adding support for ZOOMTITLE meta tags (and ZOOMDESCRIPTION) which would then allow you to specify an alternative title and description for Zoom to use. We may add this in a future version, in which case, you can then specify the shorter/preferred title via this method.
      Last edited by Ray; Jan-18-2007, 05:52 AM.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for your response. I searched META tags on Google and did not find anything that would be helpful. So...your suggestions would be greatly appreciated when possible! Thanks again, Charlie

Comment

Working...
        X