Indexing links but not the page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing links but not the page

I have used zoom start and stop tags to prevent links from being indexed but I want to index all the links in a particular part of a page without indexing the page itself. I don't want the "test" page containing the links that allow zoom to find it to come up in the search results.

Sounds a bit wonky, I know, but it's a test page with links that will later be added to main pages. I'd like to have the links indexed ahead of time and though I don't mind the indexed pages being found by a direct search, I don't want to promote them as links on my trafficked pages until a specific date.

Here's a typical scenario: A holiday page about Cinco de Mayo that will go live in April but is ready now. I don't want to promote the link or page until April but I don't mind if the content can be found by someone doing research for it. In order for zoom to find it I have to link it somewhere.

You can do this in Zoom by creating a new start point (click on "More" on the Spider Mode tab, then "Add"), and specify this page with the option "Follow links only". You will need to make sure this start point appears before any other start point which may end up crawling this page beforehand, otherwise the start point will be skipped.

Using the ZOOMSTOP and ZOOMRESTART tags should also work - it does not prevent links from being followed, only the content from being indexed. If the entire page is enclosed within the tags, then the page should never show for any searches. There are also the ZOOMSTOPFOLLOW and ZOOMRESTARTFOLLOW tags which actually exclude sections of the page containing links from being followed/crawled by the spider.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Glad I asked this question because I have not been using the zoom tags correctly. I put ZoomStop where I needed ZoomStopFollow. Armed with this new understanding I think I can use the tags to accomplish what I want.

Thanks again for the speedy and lucid replies.

Comment

Working...
      X