Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Numbers and Proxy servers

Hi there,

I have Zoom installed on a company computer with a proxy server. The proxy seems to be keeping Zoom from crawling the web. Though I have IE automatic authentication enabled, I still get a 407 authentication error when trying to spider any site. I talked to our network team and they asked what port(s) Zoom is using so they could enable access (if this would help). Thank you!

Zoom should pickup the proxy settings you have specified in IE. However, does your proxy server expect a login/password to be entered for authentication? If you have not already entered this in IE prior to using Zoom, Zoom may be denied access to the proxy (it will not prompt you for login like IE does).

The port number should only matter if you have a firewall blocking access. But Zoom simply uses HTTP ports (same as IE). So you just need to make sure that the firewall gives access to the ZoomIndexer.exe application.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray. I'll have them take a look at opening the firewall to Zoom.

Comment

Hi Ray,

Here is the reply I received from our network team:

The problem (as I am sure you have guessed) is that IE does not store credentials; however, it seems Zoom needs them to get through the Proxy. Can anyone at Zoom tell you how we can store the credentials in the Zoom software somewhere or at least provide a dialog box that you can enter them in?

Comment

Does IE prompt you for authentication to access the proxy each time you browse the web? If so, you should try loading a webpage in IE prior to using Zoom, entering in your authentication details in IE when prompted. Once IE is allowed access to the proxy and can access web pages on the Internet, you should then start the indexing (without closing IE) - and you should find that Zoom will now be able to access the Internet through your proxy.

Zoom does not store proxy authentication credentials independently of IE. It will simply expect that your proxy settings/credentials in IE at the time will allow access to the web.

As you might have realized, Microsoft has closely integrated IE with the Internet-related components of the Windows operating system, and it acts as an interface for much of the common functionality.
          Last edited by Ray; Mar-01-2007, 12:57 AM.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

I figured it out. There is one more setting in IE that I needed to have enabled. I'm using IE 6.

In 'Internet Options :: Advanced' there is a category named 'HTTP 1.1 Settings'. The 'Use HTTP 1.1' was checked, but I also had to check 'Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections'. For anyone else having this problem, check that out.

Zoom is working great! Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for posting your solution. This might come in handy for anyone else having similar problems.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X