Odd Search Page Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Search Page Results

Not sure if I posted this in the right area the first time so here it is again:

We might have done something wrong in our setup but I don't think so - We are getting very strange results when we type into the search box a certain combination of letters and numbers. For example, when we type in 7x1x instead of getting a no documents found or error message the results page only gets partially redrawn on the screen and sometimes with odd characters and formatting. If we type in 7x1x1 or 7x1x1? or "7 x 1/2 x?" the same thing happens. We used your standard results page with this result and when we tried it with our customized Frontpage Theme page, we got a really bizarre looking screen redraw. Our product is normally sold in a particular size so our customers will search for 7x1x1 as it is a size we sell. There may also be other sizes or phrases that might trigger this too - This is only one example we have found so far. We were just typing in certian common phrases our customers would key in to see the results Zoom would provide. We do have categories turned on. We are still in the testing phase so there is no rush to fix this. I can send you some screenshots if you like. Or you can go to http://www.georgiagrindingwheel.com/testsearch.htm and type in those phrases to see what I mean. We don't think it is a browser issue as we have tried it with IE7 and Mozilla. Thank you.

If you have spelling suggestions turned on, you might be seeing a crash bug from build 5.0.1003 (which you appear to be using). The latest build (5.0.1004) fixes this bug, you can download it from here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

If after installing and re-indexing using the latest build, you are still seeing this problem, then it is possible that your server might be configured with very low restrictions to the amount of RAM or CPU that a CGI process can utilize. Some information here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12

If you have looked into the above two issues and still have this problem, you can ZIP up your search files (all "required files" listed at the end of indexing) and e-mail them to us. We can then take a closer look.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Script Crashing?

When I input this "7 x 1/2 x?" (include the quotes) the script seems to crash but not when I put in "7 x 1/2 x ?" (include the quotes) the only difference is the space preceeding the question mark. It attempts to draw the search template page but quits before finishing.

Do you still think this is a server memory issue? We do have a lot of PDF files and some are quite large.

Our Hosting company has not replied to my inquiry yet - They are very slow. May have to find a new hosting company. I am trying to figure this out on my own for now.

Thanks.

Comment

Script Crashing?

Well, as a follow up, it seems to be working now. Either my Hosting company changed the settings overnight and didn't tell me, OR, the overhead on their servers is very low today and the script runs, OR I fixed it by disabling the "SUGGEST SPELLINGS" box.

Will work with this over the next few weeks and advise if anything reverts or changes.

William

Comment

Did you update to the latest build (5.0.1004) as advised? That should have fixed the problem, if it was the spelling suggestion bug.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X