Meta Descriptions don't appear on Results page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta Descriptions don't appear on Results page

On the "Indexing Options" tab, I have checked "Meta descriptions" in the "What to index" section.

On the "Results Layout" tab, I have checked "Meta description" in the "Search results layout" tab.

The pages themselves do have Meta Description tags. Here is a sample:
    <meta content="A listing of the members of Firm committees." Name=DESCRIPTION>

But they are simply not showing up on the Results page. Interestingly, when I tell it not to display the Context Description on the Results page, it still displays them, but in green. Like it thinks the Context Descriptions are the Meta Descriptions.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. BTW, this product is awesome!

I figured it out. I moved 'Name="DESCRIPTION"' to the front of the tag and put quotes around DESCRIPTION.

Here is an example:

<meta Name="DESCRIPTION" content="A listing of the members of Firm committees.">

Comment

Yes, the double quote characters are required for meta tag attributes. The order of name and content should not be an issue however.

As for the green text that you thought were context descriptions - this is actually correct behaviour. When you have context descriptions disabled but meta descriptions enabled, and Zoom can NOT find a meta description for the page, it will then extract the first x characters (based on the max description length in the Limits tab) of the page's content to act as the meta description. What you saw was not actually the context description (which would change depending on your search word, to reflect the surrounding text for that word), it was in fact, a static extract of the first portion of the page content.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X