Genealogy Soundex Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy Soundex Search

I have been using zoom for the last few weeks to index my genealogy site. The program is now working great, but I want to take it to the next level and wonder how to do it.

I would like to be able to search the data based on a soundex code.

Soundex was created by the govt. to bring together many names that might have a similar spelling. There is much out there on the net about using the soundex. The particular version I want to use is the Daitch/Mokotoff. This aids in soundexing many european names.

Is there a way to incorporate this methodology into ZOOM.

Thank
    carlton brooks
    Carlton Brooks
    Mesa, Arizona

There is actually a form of SoundEx implemented in Zoom already, but it is only used for the Spelling suggestions feature. This means that it is fairly limited and will only find a single alternative for the current searched word (and only if there are very little results).

If you require a more comprehensive SoundEx searching method, we can offer to do this as custom development. If you are interested in this, please contact us via e-mail (see Contact Us page) and we can discuss your requirements further.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Was a Soundex (or sounds like) option ever developed, I have the exact same requirement.

Regards,
      Ian Tresman

Comment

There were some improvements to the spelling suggestion feature since this question was raised a year ago. So that might help.

But the orginal poster didn't appear to be interested in custom development and we have had no other requests for the feature. 1 request per year is not enough to justify the development cost of the feature.

----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X