Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump to match and highlighting function and frameset

Hi everyone,

before I make something foolish, let me ask the experts.

I understand what I have to do in every single HTML page to include Jump to match and highlighting function on it. But what if you have more then 200.000 HTML pages

In fact, to make things easyer to handle, from the beggining I created a frameset. In upper frame I load navigation page, and in lower frame I load HTML page with content.

So the question is what would happen if I trigger highlight() function in body section of frameset file?

I guess it will not work, and at the and I will have to put call for the function in every single HTML file.

Please tell me I'm wrong
    Regards,
    Nenad

The question would be "how are you maintaining 200 thousand pages now"?

You need to examine the capacity of the editing tools your site uses to apply templates to pages and to do extensive search and replace.

Using Homesite editor on my 6 thousand pages takes a good fifteen minutes so time for a good coffee.
    Mark Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by sizbut
      The question would be "how are you maintaining 200 thousand pages now"?
      Well, sizbut it's not so difficult as it looks

The pages contains legal acts and laws, so in legal way it is "past finished tense". I don't have to maintain that pages. Only I have to add, but only once a year, new pages containing new legal acts and regulations. BTW, I'm running my company intranet site, so it's much easyer then Internet. I reindex the documents only once a year and yes it lasts a few hours. But it's OK. So I have two search engines on my site; one is for legal part (more then 200.000 pages) and the second instance is for other pages which I maintain regulary. There are only a few hundred pages, and ZOOM takes only 10 minutes to index them.

So my initiall question was about that legal part of the site. I hope Ray or David will answer. On the other hand, I'll try myself.
      Regards,
      Nenad

Comment

No, the highlighting javascript will not work from the framset file. It would then only highlight within the frameset page and not the content within the frames.

However, you could modify the highlighting javascript to perform on the target of the second frame (rather than on the same page). This would require a fair amount of Javascript knowledge. You would also have to come up with a way so that the Indexer will provide links to the frameset rather than the pages within the frames. This could then work without having to modify all your pages. We do not currently support this more advanced method of integrating the scripts due to the fact that the structure of sites can vary greatly and there are many issues in providing a generic implementation that works across all sites.

If you would rather resort back to the original approach of having to update all the files, you might want to have a look at these third party search and replace utilities:

Advanced Find and Replace:
        http://www.abacre.com/afr/

Text pipe:
        http://www.crystalsoftware.com.au/textpipe.html
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X