Problems with Windows 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Windows 98

The Zoom Indexer works well, but I get a few strange things, and I wonder if they are related to the fact that I'm still using Windows 98:

1. When indexing, I don't see a green listbox to the right of the window, like shown on www.wrensoft.com/zoom/tour.html. That part of the form stays empty.
    2. I get an access violation and the program is aborted afterwards, when I do a "Save index log to file".
    3. Also access violation when indexing, after I loaded a configuration with File / Load Configuration. However, it works if I load that same configuration file with File / Recent Configurations.

Has somebody else experienced this? Is it related to Win98 instead of newer OS? Or can it be cured in another way? Thanks very much for any info!

Yes, there are a couple of bugs that only appear in Windows 98 that we found ourselves yesterday.

During the development of Zoom we did almost all of our testing on Windows XP. We should have done more on Windows 98. But we are doing that now, (except that christmas is upon us) and will release a patch in the next week or so to correct these 98 issues. The patch release will be version V4.0 build 1003

Very sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.

----
    David

Comment

In W98 it is not possible to select an other languagefile.

I'm working with vthe latest release of Zoom

Comment

Yes, we've confirmed that this is another 98 bug. We'll fix this in the next build (Version 4.0 build 1005).

We noticed another issue in our test: since the language files are saved in Unicode format, you will not be able to edit them on a Windows 98 or ME machine because they do not directly support Unicode. We will add some error messages regarding this in the next build, along with the fix.

You could possibly find a text editor which supports Unicode and is 98 compatible, which you can then use to edit the files. However, if you are serious about working with different languages and Unicode, you should really upgrade to 2000 or XP.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi,

I wonder if this is another '98' feature, I downloaded the free version last night with a view to purchasing the pro version. When I try to import a text file with other start points, the app just closes after I press OK?

BTW, so far the product looks great, will prob buy it . thanks

Comment

Yes. Another 98 bug, this one will be fixed in the next build (4.0.1007).

While we have been doing more testing with Win98, the underlying problem is that the OS contains many quirks and undocumented differences and incompatibilities to XP and 2000. Hopefully, we've now ironed out the majority of the 98 bugs, but should you come across any more problems, do let us know, and we'll try to fix them as soon as possible.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X