Adding File Size as a result element

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding File Size as a result element

I'm very impressed with the Zoom Search Engine. The project I'm currently working on is to scan and OCR six file drawers of engineering information. I'm about 45% complete with this project with nearly 1700 documents.

The search.php search speed was more than adequate. The search.cgi blew me away on the it's quickness. I'm sure that program will scale perfectly for the final document total of around 4000.

On to my question. Many of the PDF files that are in this search library are quite large. Some of them reaching sizes over 50 meg. It would be nice to display the Element Size in the results paragraph. By having this a user would be less likely to select the link when they are just guessing the information is within the document. Pulling large files from the Linux Server is quite time consuming.

Any idea if adding the document size as an element information bit could be added in a future version?

Thanks for the product.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein

Yes, file size is something we will consider including in the next release of the software.

As a rather poor work around you could include the size in the file name or document title for larger documents.

You can override the normal document title for PDF files using .desc files. See the users guide,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

-----
    David

Comment

Put file size in meta tags

Hi Scott,

you can put file size in meta tags, only you have to select Meta description to display in search results (Configure - Results Layout - Search Results Layout). By using CSS (there is .description class in search template file) you can adjust the file size info to be for example red colored - bold, what is more visible for you users.
      Regards,
      Nenad

Comment

You mentioned you are using the PHP version of the search.

You can go into the script and add a line prior to where it outputs the <A Href> to the document which uses php filesize(path) to get the size.

A second solution to avoid checking many files for each search is to use the file that zoom creates called "zoom-pages.zdat" and open each file with a script and save the size of the file in a database or even an array. Then use that database or array to add the filesize output as indicated above.

Terry D.

Comment

Working...
        X