finding files with dhtml drop down menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding files with dhtml drop down menus

The only way that files are found is if they are linked off the index page? Do I have that right? So, if I have a few hundred docs linked through a dhtml drop down menu I have to create another page with links to each of these docs and then link this page off the index page?

And could the 'links' page be linked from the index by just an <a href> on a one pixel gif?

Thanks for your help.

All HTML <a href> links are on your site are followed. From any page on your site to any other page, not just from the home page.

But if your site is only linked toegther with Javascript (and not HTML links), then pages will be skipped. See also this FAQ.
    Q. Why are links in my Javascript menus being skipped?

Comment

As explained in the FAQ above, by having a site which can only be navigated with Javascript enabled, you are also making your site unfriendly to spiders for Google and Yahoo, etc. and it will affect your Internet wide search engine ranking. On top of that, your site would be unaccessible by people who have JS disabled in their browser, or using older/less capable browsers from Internet Kiosks etc. The FAQ suggests a better solution than one pixel image links.

Note also though, that there is the option of Offline Mode indexing, which would not depend on links (and will find all your files regardless). This may be preferred if your site does not use any server-side scripting (eg. php, asp pages). See the Users Guide for more information.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X