working search screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working search screen

Is there anyone out there who is using a screen that says something like working, searching etc. please wait... and if there where can I get this script and if it is a js how does it tie into the php search page...?

Re: working search screen

Originally posted by bwinger
    Is there anyone out there who is using a screen that says something like working, searching etc. please wait... and if there where can I get this script and if it is a js how does it tie into the php search page...?
    With the speed of a good webhosting company, it should be so fast that you would not have any wait time.

Comment

How to show user the search script is running?

Hi bwinger,

in most cases WStemple is wright. But if you want to display the user fact the search script is realy running first go to http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/samp...rch_script.asp and take a look into the asp script one clever guy (his name is Bruce) wrote. Just to sumarize; he put an animated GIF in <form> tag, so when a user submitt the search form to server, a GIF plays indicating it is working.
      If you look down the script, almost at the and with simple JS he swaps animated GIF with still one (not animated one). The principle is pretty much the same like HTML roll-over effect. But what is most important, you should put it in your own search_template.html (you have to create your own search form) or if you are familliar with server-side script, you can embed the search script into your own server-side scripted page. The conclusion is that you have to play a little with the code. Go ahead, it's fun.
      More information you can find at http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_howto.html#ssi
      I think it can be implemented also in PHP script.

Hope that helps!
      Regards,
      Nenad

Comment

After having some correspondance with B Winger it seems that he has a big web site with tens of thousands of documents, and is using the PHP version. O/S was Linux and the hosting company was Rackspace.

So it probably was too slow.

We have got him to switch from the PHP version to the CGI version and this has resolved the speed issue. The CGI version, being a compiled binary, is much faster than PHP (and ASP).

-------
        David
        Wrensoft

Comment

David has steered me in the right direction...
          We switched to cgi and man is it fast...
          I have 4 years now on our server and we break them down by individual years. These are newspaper size pages
          I have one year of over 10,000 pages of pdf files... we can do an exact phrase search and the average time is 0.4**** faster than greased lightning...
          thanks david for your help.

I still only have one other problem.... even though I have advanced search turned on.. to create the searchword.log file.. it is not automatically doing it.. I must still be doing something wrong....
          any suggestions...?

Comment

See this page for a list of common problems and solutions for logging,

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

If you still have a problem, we are going to need details about your Zoom settings, directory structure, file permissions & any error messages.

-----
            David

Comment

Working...
            X