Advanced Search Form never shows up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Search Form never shows up

Seems like this is supposed to be really simple and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Currently I am using the trial version just to see if Zoom works properly. Under the Zoom Index Configuration, I click on Search Page>Search Form Appearance, but on my actual web the only thing that shows up is " Search this site" and
    "Enter one or more keywords to search for using the Zoom Search Engine.
    Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported."

There is no actual search field. The user manual shows that this should be automatic. The indexing worked fine but n ow I need a way to search the index. I am using Front Page and ASP. Thanks.

tips

I figured it out. Just some suggestions for anyone else having this problem. Guess I'm not the most technical person so maybe my advice can help those less technical people out. When I clicked on the search.asp page it was blank as was search.html. I didn't have a search button either. The user guide said that .asp was automatically installed with IIS, but it does need to be enabled and that was the problem I was having.

To enable:

Control Panel>Add Remove Programs> Add/Remove Windows Components> Application Server>check Enable ASP.NET

In the IIS manager click on the Web Service Extensions folder. Highlight Active Server Pages and click Allow.

Reboot or stop and restart all web services

Now you can open search.html and the search will work

Comment

Glad to hear you've worked it out.

To clarify further for our readers, yes, ASP needs to be enabled (for the ASP version), but note that this only needs to be done on the end of the IIS web server. If you are using a remote server, you will need to check with your web host in order to do this.

Also, for the ASP version, you should open "search.asp" to access the search page, not "search_template.html" (which would only appear as a blank page with the "Search this site" text, but without the search form).
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Form not showing serach field

Hi
        I have had the same problem, ie I don't see the search form objects on search.asp. I am accidentally loading up the search template to search or view files.

I know ASP is switched on at the server end as I am seeing my other ASP files.

So what could be the problem? Any suggestions gratefully accepted

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "accidentally loading up the search template" - you should make sure to open the "search.asp" page (or link to it from your website), instead of the "search_template.html" page.

You might want to post us a URL to your website so that we can see what you mean.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I am using the .PHP version, and my 'search_template.html' does not show the search box or button. Is there a PHP thing on my computer that I need to "turn on"? I thought PHP is a server side language...

Comment

The "search_template.html" file does NOT contain a search box or button. This is correct behaviour.

If you are using the PHP version, then "search.php" is your search page.

If you are using the ASP version, then "search.asp" is your search page.

If you are using the JS version, then "search.html" is your search page. (It's a bit different with the Javascript version because there's no search_template.html at all, but I digress...)

If you are using the CGI version, then "search.cgi" is your search page.

sxz - you do not need to "turn on" PHP on your home computer. It only needs to be installed and setup on your web server (this has to be done by your web host). If this is the case, then when you access "search.php" on your server, you should see the search box. For more information on "What is PHP?" see: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/platforms.html

All of the above is also explained in detail in our Users Guide:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

But, when I try to access search.PHP file, I got a download of the PHP file instead; I cannot open the page in my browser. Does that mean my server does not support PHP files?

Comment

Yes, if you get a download prompt when trying to run a PHP file, then this means that PHP is not installed on your server.

You'll either need to,

- Move to a new hosting company that supports PHP
                  - Switch to use Zoom CGI or ASP, if you host suports these server side options
                  - Fallback to use the Zoom Javascript option if you have no other alternative.

----
                  David

Comment

Well, moving to a different host is not an option. CGI-Ben is not accessible either.

I will have to look into JavaScript or ASP, can either of these run on a Microsoft server?

And thank you for all the help so far.

Comment

Yes, ASP comes with the Microsoft IIS web server, and is enabled on most typical installations. Just to clarify, PHP and CGI can also be enabled on a Microsoft server. The question is what your host allows (there's a reason why some hosts offer cheaper services).

Javascript runs in the browser, so no special software is required at all on the server side. In other words, it can run on any web server. However, it is also the most restricted language and has limited capabilities (eg. it does not have context descriptions, exact phrase matching, and can not handle very large sites).
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

regarding ASP serch.. which folder should I use for the ASP serch engen? and what other information do I need to get it runing?

Comment

ASP normally works in any folder (assuming the server allows ASP at all). Again, you should contact your web host or check their support pages. This all depends on what your web host has configured.

For most typical web servers, all you need to do is upload the files. No additional setup is normally required.

More information on ASP: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/platforms.html#asp
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

This script requires VBScript 5.5 or later installed on the web server. Please download the latest Windows Script package from Microsoft and install this on your server, or consult your web host
                            Note that you may be able to run this on VBScript 5.1 if you have Exact Phrase matching disabled.
                            I used ASP search instead, but this is what showed up. ..

Comment

You should contact your hosting company.

VBScript 5.5 has been available for many years now (and is a free update from Microsoft). It is an important update for security reasons and for functionality. You should ask you hosting company to install the latest version (or at least the old 5.5 version).

Here is the link to the current V5.6 version at Microsoft,
                              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

If your host isn't prepared to help you and if they don't care about security of your site, then it is time to find a new hosting company.

------
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X