Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a custom result page

Hi!

First of all I would like to say that ZOOM is great, with little effort you get great, professional results, but I have some questions too:

I would like to have my individual result page. I know a good was is to customize the search_template.html file, but I can't use that file because my result page is created dynamically by a Content Management System.

So one way to solve that problem would be to include the search.asp file in my individual result page by inserting . Unfortunately this causes an error when calling my result page in the browser (Internal Server Error 500, the page cannot be displayed).
    So the first question is: What's wrong? Why do I get that error?

Another way to include the results into my own template is to tell Zoom not to use the search_template.html file but my file.
    So the second question is: Is there a way to do so by changing the settings in the tool or do I have to change the code of search.asp by changing the line

set fp_template = fso.OpenTextFile(MapPath(TemplateFilename), 1)

into

set fp_template = fso.OpenTextFile(MapPath("my_resultpage.html"), 1)

Thanks, Philipp

In case you haven't seen this - there is a FAQ on how to use server-side scripting on your search page:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_ssi.html

This pretty much describes your first approach, which would be the correct way of doing it. However, the 500 error you are getting could be caused by a number of things, but the most likely of which is that you probably have the files in different folders. You should make sure they are all in the same folder (including your custom result page), as this is required by default. Second, if you have made any changes to "search.asp" or "settings.asp", or any of the files, you should revert back to the default files to make sure you have not broken any scripting functionality with your changes.

You should also enable more error information from IE and IIS. You can do this in IE by clicking on Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced, and unchecking "Show friendly HTTP error messages". You should be able to get actual scripting errors (eg. "The include file ... was not found") in addition to the HTTP 500 error message.

Your other method of telling Zoom to use a different file in place of search_template.html will not work. Unless you drastically change the script, Zoom will still treat the file as HTML. The simplest way is to use "include" as described above.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I read the FAQ on how to use server-side scripting! And I followed all the instructions, I also put all the files into the same directory but it still didn't work...

However I tried again from scratch, and now it works fine!

I think I was just to confused yesterday after hours of trying and scripting...

I'm sorry for bothering you, thanks a lot,

Philipp

Comment

Working...
      X