Meta menus in simple search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta menus in simple search?

I've seen instructions (implemented successfully!) for putting a simple search in a form tag on a site main page (which connects to the search.php file), but I was wondering whether there's any way to include meta pop-downs in that same form code? Please be gentle - all my coding knowledge is in css and html and I know nothing of php or javascript.

Not sure what you mean by "meta pop-downs" or "meta menus". I think you might be misunderstanding and mis-using the word "meta".

If you are trying to describe a search box that automatically drops down with a list of suggestions as you type your searches, then you might be thinking of an "auto-complete" or "auto-suggest" search box. This would almost definitely be beyond your level of experience at this point (given what you said about not knowing PHP or Javascript) as it involves AJAX (which requires advanced uses of both PHP and Javascript).

For a previous discussion on what this involves, see:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1814
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "meta pop-downs" or "meta menus". I think you might be misunderstanding and mis-using the word "meta".

Nope, I'm referring to the Custom Meta Fields
      http://www.bookslingers.com/search/search.php
      that can be created in the search page, that appear as drop-down menus with lists of terms for limiting searches by category. These work just fine in the actual search.php file, but I'm trying to figure out how to add them to the simple search form included in my main page HTML (presently just a keyword search).

Comment

Oh, okay.

Just go to your "search.php" page with the generated search form, right click and select "View source". Look for the HTML that provide the dropdown option for the field you want, and copy and paste that to your own page.

For example, this is what your Genre field look like:
        Genre: <select name="GENRE" class="zoom_metaform_dropdown">
        <option value="-1">All</option><option value="0">Science Fiction</option>
        <option value="1">Fantasy</option>
        <option value="2">Literary</option>
        <option value="3">Historical</option>
        <option value="4">Mystery</option>
        <option value="5">Adventure</option>
        </select>
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...