Error allocating php memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error allocating php memory

I initially ran the zoom search engine (php version) on a shared server and it worked well. The server was hacked and I shifted all my sites to other servers and service host providers.

Now, when I try the search engine on 2 other servers and 2 different shared hosting services, I get:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 257 bytes) in /home/microsco/public_html/search/search.php on line 2502

I presume this is due to some kind of PHP memory limiting by the service providers, which - of course - is not mentioned in their pre-sign up sales blurbs: www.vexxhost.com and http://www.hostpapa.com/

First of all: Am I right about the cause?
    Secondly: Can I get them to do anything about it?
    Thirdly,if not: Can you recommend a hosting service without this limit?

Your search engine is a great tool and the only issues I have had with it is always due to the limitation of shared server hosting.

kind regards
    m
    Last edited by molsmith; Oct-15-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: typos

Yes it is a PHP limit. But you can in general just increase the limit.
    See this FAQ
    Q. "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted..." or similar error message

Note that you must have a fairly large set of index files, for the search to use this much RAM. At some point you might want to consider using the CGI option which is both faster and uses less RAM. (But the CGI can be harder to install than the PHP option, depending on your host)

Comment

Working...
    X