Upgrading from 3.x to 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 3.x to 4.0

If you're upgrading from 3.x to the new version 4.0, take note of these changes to the way template files are managed:
    • The Indexer will no longer overwrite the “search_template.html” (or “search.html”) file in the output directory IF the file already exists.
    • You should NOT modify “search_template_src.html” and “search_src.html” in the Zoom installation folder. You should now only need to modify the search template file in the OUTPUT directory (where the index files are written to).

The new method of how you should go about changing the search template is as follows:
    1. When you index a site for the first time, Zoom will create a copy of the default template in the output directory. The default templates are the “search_template_src.html” and “search_src.html” files (which you should no longer modify).
    2. Subsequent indexing sessions will NOT overwrite the search template in the output directory. This means that you can make your modifications to the search template file directly, and save your changes to the output directory.
    3. You no longer need to manage multiple “Custom search template paths” in the Advanced configuration tab. You simply have different search templates in different output folders.
    4. When a search template file is missing in the output directory, Zoom will create a copy of the default template there the next time it indexes. This means that, if you need to return to the default template at any point, you can delete or rename your template in the output directory, and re-index.

It is recommended to start with a fresh new default search template from Version 4.0 and adapt that to the look of your 3.x template. This means you should index once to an empty directory, so that it creates the default template file for you to use as a reference. There have been some changes with new stylesheet classes defined, and more importantly for the JavaScript version, it now needs to link to different script (.js) files than before.

Problem with version 4.0

I am trying to create a search engine for a CD distribution, using the offline/javascript options. I have copied the script files from scripts\javascript to my own configuration directory.

When I run the indexer, all the files index OK and it gets to "Finished cleaning up memory", but then I get "Could not open source template file: \search_src.html", then "Failed to create search template file: my path\search.html.

The fact the it is looking for \search_src.html makes me think there is some error in constructing the path string in the code, and I am doing something to bring this in to the open. I have been able to work around the problem by copying the file search_src.html to the root directory, so now I think I just go ahead and modify the newly-created search.html and pray that it does not get overwritten next time someone indexes.

Thanks

Pete.

Comment

Your post seems to have little to do with upgrading from V3 to V4 and you should have maybe started a new topic.

Anyway,

In V4 of Zoom, there is normally no need to copy the script files from their install directory. This will just confuse matters.

Only advanced users who want to customize the source code and at the same time have multiple different custom scripts should consider this. And it is a pretty rare occasion when the script needs to be modified to create a custom version. Most customisation can instead be done on the search template or in the Zoom configuration window.

If you do have a really really good reason for moving the files about then you also need to set the "search script path" to the new directory. (on the advanced tab in the Zoom configuration window). I am guessing you didn't set this value and now the files can't be found.

--------
      David

Comment

Semi-colon on Search Results

I am getting a semi-colon inserted into the search results file on version 4.0. It never happened on the previous verision I was running. It was also inserting "charset=<whatever charset I chose>" after the semi-colon. I managed to get it to stop spitting out the charset info when I told it to Disable the check for the charset but the semi-colon stillr emains. It is right before the "Search For:" lines.

I checked my code and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of my pages. I am using the recommended script to insert the CGI version of Zoom into an ASP page.

Thanks!
        Shawn

Comment

OK. We'll check it out.

We are only investigating really serious bugs for the next week because of Christmas holidays. After that it will be back to normal for Jan 05, and we'll work out where the semi-colon is coming from.

--------
          David

Comment

Re: Problem with version 4.0

I guess your right in saying that this has very little to do with upgrading for V3 to V4 - except that it is a problem I have in V4 that I never had in V3!

I did set the "search script path" on the configuration->advanced tab to the new directory. I did this because I obviously did not want to change the script files in the original installation, but I do need to customise the javascript (search.js) for my own purposes (all the extra configuarion options are great, but you will never satisfy everyone's requirements this way), and it still gets overwritten by whatever is in the "search script path" search.js, each time I index. What I had worked quite well in V3. (It would make things easier if indexing would leave an existing search.js alone as well as leaving an existing search.html alone.)

I have workarounds available, (the best one is to use mysearch.js, using search.js as a starting point), but there are still a few problems that should be fixed when you get a chance.

I have also been playing around with the CGI version and it might yet turn out to be a better solution for my needs. However the html_template file that gets generated (or copied) still just has the line

where all the action should be (obviously something else should have been substituted) - I am not sure what I should be putting in there.

Cheers

Pete.

Comment

&lt;!--ZOOMSEARCH--&gt; in CGI

Pete,

it's OK to have that comment (I mean ) in html template generated by CGI script, and you should not delete it and should be always on separate line.

This is the place where ZOOM puts search results returned by the CGI script. You can create you own search form (what by the way has some disadvantages) or you can choose ZOOM to create search form for you.

CGI is very powerfull but you can't edit it like you can .js, .asp or .php because CGI is pure binary file. But you can play with language files and with CSS classes in html template making the search form to best suit your needs.

Hope I helped you a little.
              Regards,
              Nenad

Comment

Re: Semi-colon on Search Results

Originally posted by soatley
                I am getting a semi-colon inserted into the search results file on version 4.0. It never happened on the previous verision I was running. It was also inserting "charset=<whatever charset I chose>" after the semi-colon. I managed to get it to stop spitting out the charset info when I told it to Disable the check for the charset but the semi-colon stillr emains. It is right before the "Search For:" lines.

I checked my code and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of my pages. I am using the recommended script to insert the CGI version of Zoom into an ASP page.
                If you are embedding the CGI version on an ASP page, you should make sure the search_template.html does not contain HTML that would now be irrelevant (eg. it may no longer need <html>, <title>, or <head> tags if these are already defined earlier on in the ASP page).

If you have checked that this is the case, and you still get this problem, zip up your search files (all .zdat files, including search.asp, settings.asp, and your own ASP page with the code to embed the CGI) and send them to us via email. We'll then be able to take a closer look at what the problem is.

---
                Raymond
                Wrensoft
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray,
                  In my search_template.html file it is just the
                  tag and that 's it. I am going to shoot off an e-mail right now with the code as you have requested.

Thanks!!

shawn

Comment

Had a look at your files, and you're right. An extra ';' or "charset=" information is displayed at the top of the page when you include the V4.0 CGI on your ASP page, using the old ASP code from our FAQ.

The FAQ is now updated with the new code which will not have this problem: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...o.html#ssi_cgi

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X