Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search results page descriptions are all the same

Hello,

I have a website using the zoom search engine (professional), and the search results are not displaying correctly. While the search IS working, and is pulling up the correct pages, the quick blurb it shows of the page content is always the same. Unfortunately this is because the first item of real text in every page is a newsletter piece (the same newsetter piece).

Now, i know it's possible to tell zoom not to index that newsletter piece, but we want that to be searchable as well. Why is zoom not skipping ahead to show exactly where in the page the search term is found?

If my description is not clear enough I will gladly post screen shots.

Thank you.

-Nick Dykzeul

Are you using the Javascript version? This does not support context description (displaying the surrounding content where the word was found) due to the technical limitations of the scripting platform.

If you are not using the Javascript version, then you may have disabled context descriptions in your configuration window (under the "Results layout" tab).

When context descriptions are disabled, and a meta description is not found for the page, Zoom will retrieve the first portion of the page's content as a static description. This sounds like what you are seeing here.

You'll need to make sure you are using either PHP, ASP, or CGI, and that you have "context descriptions" enabled, to get the result that you're after.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help. We are using the javascript version, so we'll have to switch that over.

Thanks again!

-Nick

Comment

Working...
      X