Indexing tooltips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing tooltips

I have some files with a lot of text in tooltips eg timeline.html. To index these offline I made a file called timeline_p.html with copies of the tooltip text. I uploaded a file also called timeline_p.html but without the text but with a redirect script to timeline.html. Therefore anyone finding text in the timeline_p.html file would be redirected to timeline.html.

As I now index online I can no longer use this solution. Is it possible to include a redirect script in a file and have zoomsearch ignore the redirect script?

http://www.cerberus.com.au/timeline.html
    John Rogers
    www.cerberus.com.au

Refering to the text as "Tooltips" implies that you use the standard HTML ALT attribute to add alternate text to images.

In the example page you provided almost all the HTML on the page is embedded into a Javascript array, which will not be indexed by any search engine, nor will it be accessible to anyone with Javascript disabled in their browser.

If you want to keep at lot of your HTML code in Javascript, a solution might be to duplicate the HTML text into another page and then either just allow people to find the duplicate page to do a re-direct in Javascript back to the orginal page. Zoom will ignore a Javascript redirect.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    window.location="http://www.cerberus.com.au/timeline.html";
    </script>

Needless to say we aren't big fans of using extensive Javascript in web design. It leads to browser and search engine incompatibility.

-------
    David

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Your suggested solution is exactly what I have been doing for some time. This is no longer possible as I now index online. I was hoping that there was a way to index text on a page with the redirect script which I currently use. I guess not.
      John Rogers
      www.cerberus.com.au

Comment

> Your suggested solution is exactly what I
        > have been doing for some time.

I suggested having a plain HTML file on your site with a copy of the text.

In your first post you said, "I uploaded a file also called timeline_p.html but without the text". Which would seem to contradict your latest post?

Maybe you mis-understood my post?

-----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X