Search result highlighting in document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search result highlighting in document

Im currently using Zoom to search through parts lists. If i input a part number i get the correct document but I have to sift through all the part numbers on my document to get to the correct one. is there any way i can automaticaly highlight the result?

We're planning on adding a "jump to match in page" option in the future, possibly in Version 4.1.

Otherwise, no, with the current version, you would have to use additional external Javascripts to do so.

[Edit: 'Jump to match in page', when implemented, will only work on HTML documents, and not Word or PDF documents]
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

do you have an eta for 4.1?

Comment

We have only just done the release of V4.0 and we are working on other projects for the next couple of weeks. V4.1 is probably a month or two away as there is a lot of stuff we want to put into it. But we might make the highlighting available before then if there is enough demand.

Also, V4.1 will be a free upgrade from V4.0.

------
        David
        Wrensoft

Comment

Brilliant, the highlighting option would certainly be very beneficial to my project.

Comment

When this option "jump to match" works I will definetely purchase a copy of Zoom

Comment

We've recently added support for "Jump to match and highlight within documents" in the latest build (4.0.1014). You can download this from:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

More information on how to add support for this feature on your website here:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/highlighting.html
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Does the jump to match feature which you have recently added effect the performance of pages which have the additional code in which includes highlight.js?

Comment

The highlight.js script is 6KB in size. So there will be a small amount of extra download time. This will be about 1/10th of a second with a typical ADSL or cable internet connection. Or about 1 sec for a dial up modem connection.

Although I am not exactly sure about Internet Explorer's caching behaviour for Javascript files, you might find that the .js file gets cached locally after the 1st page and subsequent downloads are avoided.

Javascript always executes on the client side (not on the server), so after the script has been downloaded, it runs through the text on the page applying the highlight, then doing the jump. How long this takes depends on the CPU power of the client machine and the amount of text on the page. In our testing it was so quick that we only noticed a slight lag on the largest of HTML pages.

------
                  David
                  Wrensoft

Comment

Shame that 'Guest' didn't give a proper name, then we could reply that the goods have been delivered, put up the money - hope you do get the extra sale as this is a great feature.

After a little bit of trialing and study I have it working in a javascript test poject.

My only tweak was having to place the <script>highlight()</script> part in the <body> tag, ie. <body onload="highlight">. That did the trick.

I hope my work colleagues are prepared for a lot of mysterious humming and grinning as I implement this on the full PHP version tommorrow.

Bloody well done.
                    Mark Gallagher

Comment

Minor typo: <body onload="highlight()">
                      Mark Gallagher

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

We've just updated the documentation, and are now recommending users to try your method (adding the body onload tag) first. We originally decided against this because we thought it would be easier for users to just paste 2 lines into their HTML, rather than having to modify existing tags. However, as your post and another thread has indicated, the original method (making an inline call to the Javascript) seems to be more prone to problems depending on where the function is placed in the context of the page.

Both methods are now provided in our documentation - this should hopefully minimize the head scratching for some users attempting to enable this feature.
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I am lost

Being a fair html person, I can not get the scripts to work.

I know it is the way my html page is formated.

Can a sample page be posted here with exactly where the java lines are supposed to go.

Are they to be placed in two files, or just the pages that are being indexed.

Carltonb
                          a very confused person

PROBLEM SOLVED
                          Carlton Brooks
                          Mesa, Arizona

Comment

Actual Jump

Ok now that the text in the document is highlited, how does one jump from one entry to the next in the document.

For example, goto

http://www.carltonbrooks.net/slutsk/search.php

type in Meir

There are a dozen plus times that it is shown. Is there a way to jump from entry one to entry two?

Also when indexed the name Meir is highlighted in the index, but can I get it to tell me how many times it was found in the document.

Thanks
                            Carltonb
                            Carlton Brooks
                            Mesa, Arizona

Comment

Its a good idea, but it would also require some control to be made visible to the users to initiate the jump to next highlight. And that control would have to remain visible even on long pages.

Similarly I have pages which, for the right search, returns so many highlighted words it would be nice to toggle the highlights off. But again this would require an visible control.
                              Mark Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                              X