Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Generating Search Logs

Hello --

I am having difficulty getting the search logs to successfully be created. My search pages reside at: www.site.com/search. I have indexed and uploaded my search files with the statistics option enable and the logfile location set to ./logs/searchwords.log

I have set the permissions on both the search and logs directory to Read and Write (I'm working on a Windows 2000 server on IIS 5).

Dispite all this, I am still receiving the Log filename and path not found. Check that you specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings. error message...

Please advise what I might be missing.

Thanks in advance,

-- Chris

See this page for common problems and solutions for setting up search word logging.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

Your problem still sounds like a permissions problems to me. The script needs permission to create a file in the logs directory.

Also, I think this error message normal gives you more information that you didn't post. (the full path name).

------
    David

Comment

No, the Error I Quoted Is Correct...

I double checked and that is the full error I'm receiving. You can try it out at: http://www.am.pepperl-fuchs.com and perform a search in the "General Site Search" box on the right hand side.

I had already gone through the URL you mentioned and have addressed the issues discussed there.

Any additional advice you might have would be appreciated!

-- Chris

Comment

A follow up to my last post... How should the path look in the settings file? It is currently set to: ./logs/searchwords.log

I have everything set in the search directory and the logs directory is within search...

Comment

That looks fine for the log filename and path in your Indexer settings.

The problem is most likely due to internal Windows file permissions (outside of IIS - which we assume you have already allowed read/write permissions to correctly).

Right click on the "logs" folder in Explorer, and select "Properties". Click on the "Security" tab. Find the username which IIS authenticates guests as (this is typically "IUSR_<machinename>" where <machinename> is the name of the server)**. If this user is not listed, click "Add" and enter the name. Now select this user in the list, and check the box to allow Write permissions. Click OK and the search function should now be able to write to the log file.

We'll update the FAQ page on this soon to hopefully help other people with similar problems, since recent Windows service packs have complicated the folder security settings a bit.

**You can check the required username on your server by right clicking on the "logs" folder in the IIS Control Panel, select "Properties" -> "Directory Security" -> "Edit". It should be specified under "Anonymous access".
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

search log problem

Hi,
            I had the same problem (on a windows 2003 server) but when I uploaded an empty searchwords.log (in the log directory I defined in the indexer), it was solved!

Comment

Ray --

Your solution corrected the peoblem. It now seems to be recording searches correctly. I would definately recommend updating your FAQ pages for this problem. I wouldn't have thought to check that at all...

Thanks for your help!

-- Chris

Comment

Just wanted to give an FYI on this topic:

I had the same problems, and I was pulling my hair out on this. The permission were set perfectly, and I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I code VBScript using "Option Explicit" for my pages, and since Zoom does not dim variables, I went through and dim'd them all, or so I thought...

The last part of the results.asp page writes the search info to the log file. However, "on error resume next" is thrown in there. This allows the variable "logfile" to go un-dim'd yet never really let me figure out just what was going on (until I finally though to check the FileSystem error description). I would like to see future versions of Zoom dim the variables for those "Option Explicit"ers such as myself. It may help someone else down the road...

Comment

We'll make search.asp "Option Explicit" compatible in Version 4.1.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X