PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been looking and looking: can't get PDF plugin to .. you know, PLUG IN!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been looking and looking: can't get PDF plugin to .. you know, PLUG IN!?

Had a wee computer fire in my previous computer (Win7 Home). Have mostly set up my new one (Win 7 Pro). Have installed and mostly set up Zoom Pro Edition version 6 build 1029.

Indexing (spider mode) like a champ (love Zoom!), except I cannot get it to index the PDFs. I've tried running the pdftotxt executable from E:\ (logical drive) and from C:\ (physical drive). I moved the executable to the C:\Programs(x86)\Zoom directory and run it from there. No matter where I run it from, a DOS-looking window flashes by too fast to see what it is, but I'm guessing the executable is running? (Tried running it with Zoom open and closed, just cause I'm at my wit's end!)

I go to the Scan Options and added .pdf, which it recognizes the suffix as Adobe doc. Click okay and get an error message:
    The plugin required to index the .pdf extension and file type Adobe document is not currently installed. ... make sure you have downloaded and correctly installed the appropriate plugin ...
    I let the error message take me (several times) to the Wrensoft site plugin using the (error message) link provided -- and also by going direct and searching. Tried downloading and running both the "all plugins for Version 6" and the "pdf only version." Still no-go.

Zoom indexes all the html files (about 200 or so); the skip log shows it skips all the external files (as set); all .jpgs, and .gifs; and mp3s (as set). But it's skipping all the pdfs -- lists them as "blocked by extension list." Well, yeah: I cannot get the plugin install to work!

The pdfs are mostly short docs, they're linked from two different 'index' (html) pages. I have a "desc" file for them.

I'm baffled! Why can't I get the pdf plug-in to actually work? Help?
    Thanks,
    Elenor

If you used the complete plugin installer and used the default install location, it should have installed it in the correct location. Or if you download the plugin individually, you need to make sure you have placed it in the correct location.

On Windows 7, the destination would typically be the following (you may need to enable viewing of hidden directories to see ProgramData folder):

C:\ProgramData\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\plugins\

Verify the plugin is there. When you have correctly installed the plugin, upon restarting the Indexer, you should see an additional initialization line in the log window (click on the “Log” tab): "Plugin for PDF files found. PDF file support enabled."

Comment

It is also worth noting that the plug-in isn't required in V7 of the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        If you used the complete plugin installer and used the default install location, it should have installed it in the correct location.
        Yay! Works. THanks very much!

Comment

Working...
        X