Display only filename using Offline Mode
I found this post in v4 (http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630), and this is exactly what I want to do as I'm creating an index of about 400k MS documents on my corporate intranet LAN. Is there a way to accomplish this that is reasonable vs. creating 400k .desc files or going one by one correcting Titles within their meta data. The file names are sufficient enough for our users. I don't want:
file://Main folder/subfolder/subfolder/subfolder/sub folder of project/subfolder/myworddocument.doc
Are the titles in the documents correct for any of the documents. That is to say, if you open the Word document in Word, then select File / Properties, is the title correct.
Or do you have 400,000 document with all of them having incorrect titles, or no title at all?
The file name is normally only displayed if there is no meta title available.
If you don't display the path what happens if you have two documents with the same name in different folders? They will look the same (or very similar) in the search results.
Just to clarify - the filename (without path) will be used for your search result links when both of these conditions are met:
Naturally, turning off the "Retrieve internal meta ..." option for DOCs will also exclude the meta description or keywords from indexing. But the assumption is that if your DOC files have incorrect meta titles, then they most likely do not have any useful meta information.
- You have selected to display "Title of page" on the "Results layout" tab of the Configuration window.
- There is no meta title available within the Word document indexed
You have disabled "Retrieve internal meta information" for the DOC file extension (by double clicking on ".doc" on the "Scan Options" tab of the Configuration window).
Thanks for replying to my post! I've turned on email notifications so that I can reply in a more timely manner.
Most of the documents have titles populated that are complete garbage because either:
- Saved file after first sentence was typed so it is not a true title of the document
- Reused document for another project, thus the old bad title still remains
In my Config, I have "Title of Page" selected in the "Results Layout" tab. I have "Retrieve internal meta information" checked at this time. I'll deselect that option and Index the files again.
I'll post with results. Thanks for the suggestion!
Everything works great now... thanks!