Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbo returns - thumbnails

Sorry to be a pest but I have tried and my brain is tired

I have a big archive of photo files some arranged in subfolders and within that a file of thumbnails arranged in exactly the same order (ie subfolders match main files)

However I have tried to set up the configuration of thumbnails the search seems unable to go into subfolders.

Concrete example of latest attempt. file is at www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/WK15004DS.JPG

thumbnail appears blank and properties box indicates it looked for :www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/thumbnails.WK15004DS.JPG

Do I have to pull all thumbnails out of folders or is there a way of inserting a wildcard /*/ in the configuration ?

As it is a photo archive the thumbnails are important

It isn't clear to me if the image file 2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/WK15004DS.JPG, is meant to the thumbnail (it seems to big to be a thumb) or if it is an image file you are indexing and there is another file which is the thumbnail?

It would probalby help if you could tell us,
    What the URL for the search function is, so we can see the problem?
    What the correct URL for the thumbnail is for the file in question?
    Is there a consistent relationship between the full size image an it's thumbnail?
    What settings you are currently using in Zoom for thumbnails?

These two FAQ's are probaly also relevant
    Q. How do I associate images with my search results?
    Q. How do I index image files (eg. JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF)?

Comment

Example cited is perhaps unusual - it's a 600 or 450pixel (long side) from a file for a club website - so neither full size nor thumb. The full size images are mostly 2000pix and the thumbnails 80-100pix.

The URL for the cited image file is:
      www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/WK15004DS.jpg

URL for the corresponding thumbnail is:
      www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/thumbnails/2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/WK15004DS.thumb.jpg

The jpg configuration at last try is set as "Display different thumbnail"

source
      /thumbnails/

suffix ".thumb"

suffix .jpg

It appears to me the indexer cannot cope with "/2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/" but it probably can if it is asked nicely (correctly ?). Thanks for your help.

Comment

While it could be made to work for this single example, I don't think it can be made to work more generally. That is to say, you proably have other folders, /2006/, /2007/ etc.. and there isn't a single rule that would apply to all these folders that can be entered into Zoom.

My suggestion would be to either,
        1) Just place the thumbs into the same folder as the full size images. There is no risk of confusion as you have named all the smaller files with the word thumb.

OR

2) Make a sub folder called thumbs in each image folder. So if this folder holds the full size images,
        /2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/
        then you should also have a fodler called,
        /2007/WK15CFCWebtogo/thumbs/

OR

3) If the file names like WK15004DS are unique, then drop all the thumbs into a single folder. Like,
        www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/thumbnails/
        without dozens of sub folders

Zoom should be able to deal with any of the 3 cases above.

Comment

Thank you - whichever option will keep me occupied for a day or two - but I see the sense Cheers Derek Simpson

Comment

Unfortunately the thumbnail names are not unique as the press codes recur annually. So I had the bright idea (?) of having 2005, 2006, 2007 etc folders each with a thumbnail folder having thumbnails at one level. The next part of this cunning ruse was to assign start URLs to myspace/2006, myspace/2007, myspace/2008 etc. But a trial index turns up messages (example below)

Additional start URL invalid or already scanned: http://www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/2006

I have listed the Base URL for each as www.portfolio.plus.com which is my home website where the search results will appear. This adddress has of course been indexed first - is this the cause of the error message ?? Or are subfolders just not allowed as additional URLs for indexing ?

Comment

If you turn on Verbose Mode, you'll get some more information. You'll probably find a message like this:

Skipping http://www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/2006 (External site - does not match base URL)
              If you see this message, it's because of your Base URL. You cannot specify a start point with a URL of www.domain1.com and a base URL of www.domain2.com. This would mean that the start URL itself would not qualify as part of the start point.

Spider Mode works differently from Offline Mode. While in Offline Mode, the Base URL is only used to create the resultant link (since it doesn't know what the website URL should look like as it is merely scanning files on your hard disk); Spider Mode checks each URL against the Base URL to determine if the link is "external" to the site (to prevent a link to Google for example, and following links from there to indexing the entire Internet).

The Help file and Users Guide will provide more information and examples on this.

I am a little unsure as to what your intention is with the base URL set to www.portfolio.plus.com. Did you want a page indexed from, say, www.dereksimpsonarchive.com/2006/mypage1.html to appear in the search results as www.portfolio.plus.com/2006/mypage1.html? Is there a mirror archive there? If this is the case, you'd want to use the Rewrite URL feature.

If you are merely hosting the search function on www.portfolio.plus.com but want your search results to always link to the site they were indexed from (www.dereksimpsonarchive.com in this example), then you don't need to specify www.portfolio.plus.com anywhere. You just have to upload your search files to that site.

Hope that helps
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I used www.portfolio.com as base URL simply because www.dereksimpsonarchive.com was rejected when I tried to list www.dsa.com/2005/006/007 and 008 as individual start points. You'll guess I'm floundering a bit and trying what may work. I'll look at verbose report and manual. The other solution offered earlier (putting thumbnails in individual folders) is simply impractical with the numbers involved. Thanks for the help once again.

Comment

Working...
                X