Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indirect PDF being reported as direct

Hello all,
    I have a website that contains pdfs linked indirectly ie instead of there being any direct links to a file.pdf every link is via view-doc.asp?file=file.pdf
    There is a requirement that the pdf ONLY displays from within the view-doc wrapper (which contains an iframe with src=file.pdf)

Indexing is all working fine, but when someone searches instead of getting:
    "view-doc.asp?file=file.pdf" they are getting "file.pdf" which is bypassing our requirement for the view-doc page.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that the only 'hit' is for the view-doc result?

Dermot

What happens with Google indexes your site, or people E-mail links to each other, or external web sites link to your site? What is going to stop them using direct links to your PDF files? If a direct link is available on your site, then people and engines will find and use it.

Zoom probalby find the direct PDF link becuase you are displaying the PDF in a frame. but Zoom won't be unique in doing this.

So you really need to ensure the you don't have direct links. This could be done, for example, by using URL re-writing, (mod_rewrite if using the Apache web server). So every direct hit on a PDF is redirected back to the wrapping page. You might need to also look at the refering URL during re-writing, or remove the frame to really get this working however.

Zoom also has a URL re-writing feature built into it but it might not be flexible enough to deal with this case. Hard to know without seeing the full URLs.

Comment

Thanks for the super fast response.

Your reply has prompted me to have a closer look at the view-doc.asp code.
      The actual problem was a direct link to the pdf which would allow a reader to right click and save the pdf. This appeared at the bottom of the frame and I overlooked it.

By (a) noticing this and (b) by using zoomstop and zoomstopfollow to wrap those lines I seem to be getting the results I want.

Google doesn't get to see these pdf as they are behind an .asp login screen and the links to the view-doc are not created unless you are logged in. When I index it I can pass an override.

Comment

Working...
      X