Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open in new window search option

Hi,
    Is is possible to configure or do you have any plans to add a useful 'User end' feature to the search page - namely an 'open in new window' option?
    I realise it is possible to have this option in the configure section but then the 'end user' is restricted to your choice.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Yes, it is possible to modify the settings in the Zoom configuration window in order to open the page in a new window or in the same window or in a frame. (on the "search page" tab).

If you select the option to open the page in the same window, the user can always override this setting but right clicking on the link and then selecting, "Open in new window" from the pop up menu.

----
    David

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Unfortunately you missed the point of my question which was an 'End User' option preference to open the webpage in a new window. I am aware that a user can right click their mouse to open in a new window a link but they would have to do this 'again and again' depending on the amount of links found on any given search. Google has this option installed on their preferences, which can be either ticked or left blank. It gives that little bit more control over the search results to the end user.
      Thanks again,
      Bill

Comment

I see your point Bill.
        This would require the "target" to be set up for each of the links that Zoom places in the search results. This would be a preference option like the current search options, that the user would tick before they condut a search.

Comment

Hey Bill, I haven;t tried this, but I think the option you want is NEARLY there.
          Go to Cconfiguration, Search Page and there is a selection to choose results linking. This means that the code is already in place to do what you want, all we need is this as a user option rather than a configuaration item.

Comment

Yes - what I want is an 'end user option' of being able to 'target' the search results to open in a new browser window.
            As I said in an earlier post this option is already available on Google.
            I realise the search results page can be configured to 'target the search links' to open in a new browser window - and end users can 'right click' their mouses to do this too. Perhaps if this feature was removed from the configuration and became an end user option - that way web users would have the choice of deciding if they wanted the links to open in a new window.

Comment

Just as a FYI, an end user can also hold the "shift" key whilst clicking on a link for it to open in a new window.

We'll consider adding something like this in a future version, depending on user demand. We should note that Google's implementation is cookie-based which has its own advantages and disadvantages. A more likely possibility would be just having an extra link next to the search result like "[open in new window]".
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X