RSS Feed with Simple Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS Feed with Simple Pie

Im trying to use the simplepie package to parse the RSS output and it doesn't like the html inside of the <zoom:context> tag. (The span id="highlight" is what is causing the problem. The span tag and content inside it does not get displayed at all.

Is this the proper format to use within rss/xml? Or would standards approach be to either
    a) wrap the context inside of <[CDATA[ ..data.. ]]> tags, or

b) use &lt; &gt; instead of < and > for the inner html?

In looking at other rss outputs, one of these 2 approaches appears to be how its handled.

Update: I just re-created the output and added <[CDATA[ ]]> around the content and it works as expected, including the inner html. I believe this to be the standard approach.

Anyway to enforce this?
    Last edited by danf; Feb-01-2009, 05:43 AM.

This was fixed in build 6.0.1006. The XML output of the CGI was changed to omit highlight tags

Comment

was using cdata considered? I would prefer to keep the highliting tags there. And the reason I don't want to do my own highlighting is because I plan to rely heavily on synonyms, so I may know the words they searched for, but not know all the matching synonyms to highlight properly

Comment

Another reason I would lobby to keep that functionality: Now, it would appear to be misleading that if I check the box to perform highliting in the Results Page tab, it no longer respects that request - would this not be considered a bug?

If people wish to not include the highlight span tag, they can unselect the highlight checkbox and it won't show up.

Even if there is a setting to include <[CDATA[ specified within the Advanced > XML/RSS section, I think it is worth it to have that functionality to be RSS compliant and still keep the highlighting feature.

Otherwise, the xml output is now missing a feature that the other outputs allow that I don't think it needs to be. I think in this case it is possible to have our cake and eat it too!

Comment

The problem was that highlighting was never in the V5 XML output (and no one has ever asked for it). And it's somewhat accidental inclusion in V6 resulted in a lot of existing code breaking when people did the V5 to V6 upgrade.

Comment

I guess I'm asking/pleading to make that a feature of the xml output, then.

If it were a simple configuration setting to enable and if enabled was wrapped in <[CDATA[ ... ]]>.

Any other CGI/XML users interested in highlighting turned on? I'm surprised others don't want that feature as I find it almost as a must-have for readability on the results page.

Comment

Just an update on this highlighting request:

On the Advanced configuration window, click on Configure for the XML output. Then check the box.
              "Highlight words in XML results"

This has been available since V6.0 build 1014 I think.

Comment

Thank you!!!! - I had already upgraded to 1015 2 weeks ago and didn't realize this was here. I try it out !!

Comment

I know beggars can't be choosers.....but...

When using an RSS reader such as I am (simplepie), it strips the xml content inside the content so basically makes this new feature unusable to me.

I believe the right approach would be to include the context inside of [[CDATA ]] wrapper in order for a valid RSS parser to return the full content (including the <zoom:highlight> tags ).

Also - any particular reason why the title doesn't have the highlighting capability?

Comment

Working...
                  X