X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thumbnails as broken links

Hi.

I have a large art website 2800+ pages.

I want to add thumbnails to my search results. Thumbnail image of the item next to each text result. I would like to this without having to go through and manually put in the ZOOMSEARCH meta within each page.

I have made a small test site which is found at:
    http://www.oil-paintings.com/test/

All images have ALT tags and each page has META tags. Each image is labeled progressivly:
    aachen01.jpg (for the large images)
    aachen01sm.jpg (for the thumbnails)
    aachen02 / aachen02sm and so on upto 08

The index page is called: indexaachen.html
    The home pages is called: index.html

The directory tree for the test site is set up thus;
    www.oil-paintings.com/test/
    /assets/images/ (folder that contains the images)
    /html/ (folder that contains the html)
    /indexer/ (folder that contains zsearch pages)
    /index.html (index page of test site)

Under Scan Options I have configured the .JPG to display different images and point to my images directory: ./assets/images/

Under Scan options I have configured the HTML and PHP to display different images and left the directory ./

I cannot seem to get the images to show up on the results page. They appear as broken links. When clicked the broken link, it will take me to the correct item page.

Paleeeease tell me that there is an easier way to display the thumbnails in my results page, other than having to go through each page and add the ZOOMIMAGE meta.

You will see that on aachen01.jpg I have entered the ZOOM meta and the image appears in the results.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think what you want is for a page like this:
    http://www.oil-paintings.com/test/html/aachen01.html

When it appears in your search results, you want the following thumbnail to appear next to it:
    http://www.oil-paintings.com/assets/images/aachen01sm.jpg

Is this correct?

To do this, go to "Scan Options", double click on ".html", and select "Configure images".

Choose "Display different thumbnails..."

Specify "Associate files with thumbnails found at the following URL folder" as:
    /assets/images/

Leave blank the field next to "before the name"
    Enter "sm" in the field next to "after the name"

Leave thumbnail extension as ".jpg"

And click "OK".

Re-index and re-upload your search files and that should achieve the above.

You do not need to allow ".jpg" to be indexed UNLESS you want the image files to appear within the search results directly (that is, a search result will link directly to a JPG and not the page that it resides on), and that you want to search the meta data stored WITHIN the JPG file itself (or the ALT text associated). So if that's not the case, remove ".jpg" from your Scan Extensions list.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Another Question re thumbnails

Thanks so much for your clear and easy to understand instructions. Most of my images are now displaying. But there are many that still show up as broken links. if you go to my site.

www.oil-paintings.com

and type in "pannini" in the search box or "ruins" etc all the thumbnails are broken. There are many more instances where the thumbnails do not display.

I love your product by the way. You guys are the greatest at diagnosing the problems quickly.

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious; if you want an thumbnail per page, then you need to create a thumbnail for each page on your site.

But when I look at your site, you have pages like this one,
        http://www.oil-paintings.com/html/indexast.html
        for which you have not created a thumbnail. Or if you do have one, it is in the wrong folder.

Given you settings, I think you should have a JPG file here,
        http://www.oil-paintings.com/assets/images/indexast.jpg
        But there is no file. So you get a broken link.

You should also read this FAQ
        Q. How do I associate images with my search results?

Comment

Hi.

My main website directory tree is set up thus;

main directory: www.oil-paintings.com/
          main index page (home) is also on the main directory above
          all HTML folders are in - /html/
          all JPG images big (eg: aachen01.jpg) and thumb (eg: aachen01sm.jpg) are in - /assets/images/

a lot of my images were located by the spider automatically. But quite a few were not. I am trying to find out why it worked on some and not on others. All my pages have META tags and ALT tags. They are all set up in the same way just with different images. I am aware that I may have to insert the meta ZOOMIMAGE tag, but as stated in my first question I have over 2800 pages and was hoping there was another way to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I am trying to find out why it worked on some and not on others
            It works for the ones you have created thumbnail files for. Thumbnail are not displayed in the case when the thumbnail doesn't exist. Presumably becuase you didn't create them.

For example, where is your thumbmail for this file?
            /html/indexast.html

Comment

Hi.

Please disregard my previous question. I see where I went wrong. HTML and JPG's should be named the same way. The reason my Paninni searches were not displaying the thumb was because the HTML page was called panni01 etc. and the thumbs were named pannini01. Got it! and thanks once again for your patience and help.

Comment

Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of it.

If you plan to leave some pages without thumbnails (that is, you don't need a thumbnail for every page), and you want to avoid the broken image icon for these pages, you can enable the option to "Check thumbnails exist on website before using URL" (found on the "Spider options" panel under the "Configure" tab).
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                X