Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of error message Failed to write plugin file

Please can you help me interpret the following error messages:

Cannot write file d:\...\zoom_plugin.in (error code 5)
    Failed to write plugin file to disk http://..../filename
    (the ... are full directory names)

I've just moved a large number of files from one part of our directory structure to another. On re-running Zoom, the above pair of errors were generated twice. As far as I can tell, the files are ok.

This error means that Zoom received an "Access Denied" response from Windows when trying to save a file named "zoom_plugin.in" in the "d:\...\" path above. This should be the "Output directory" folder that you specified in Zoom.

Zoom needs write access to the output folder, as it expects to save not only the resultant index files there, but also temporary files required for plugins.

Check if Zoom is able to write to the folder for any other files (e.g. the resultant index files) or if the folder is completely unwriteable. Check if there is an existing "zoom_plugin.in" file there which might be held open by something else.

Check also if you might have another indexing service running which is holding the file open unnecessarily. Windows Indexing Service is known for this little nasty behaviour (also, some anti-virus applications), see this thread for details:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showpo...57&postcount=2

Note that the thread above refers to the plugin file being written in "AppData" but this was with V5 and is no longer the case with V6 (which writes the file to the output directory).
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks. I suspect that it must be the windows indexing service, as Zoom had no difficulties with the other 2500 files it was processing in an identical manner. Will run some more tests.

Comment

If you do continue to have a problem, can you also confirm what Zoom release you are using.

Comment

Working...
        X