Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stemming Problems

Using V6 - 1013 build

I have company names and products on the pages that have hyphens - I have selected the hyphen as a divider and not. Stemming does not select this word unless I use a * which will find the pages

nox
    nox-crete

http://www.4specs.com/s/03/03-3500.html

Suggestions on how to get the search to work for this company?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are saying.

Originally posted by 4specs View Post
    I have selected the hyphen as a divider and not.
    And not ... what?

Stemming does not select this word unless I use a * which will find the pages

nox
    nox-crete

http://www.4specs.com/s/03/03-3500.html
    I tried doing a search for "nox" and a search for "nox-crete" (without the quotes in both cases) and they both returned results mentioning the nox-crete company in question and the URL given is result #3 in both cases.

What are you trying to do and what is not behaving as you expect? Can you elaborate on what you are searching with, and what you are expecting to see?

Are you asking about how to make this particular page appear higher up in the results? That is, as result #1 rather than result #3?

On a (probably) unrelated note, I did notice that you have highlighting enabled, but you do not have the highlight CSS defined on your search template so none of the highlighting appears. You can find the default CSS from the original search_temlpate.html file generated.

See this for more information (and chapter 6 in the Users Guide):
    Q. How do I customize the appearance of my search results with CSS?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

First, I had not noticed that the highlight code was not working. Last time I tried it did. To avoid loading 15k 6,000 times a day I minified the javascript code and then moved it to a separate domain with our static images. The minified code is about 3,800 bytes. As your programming called the highlight on the body load, it interfered with our other script that also is called on the body load. I combined the highlight onload call into the one we use for tracking. I'll take apart the changes and see what does not work. I was also thinking of combining the two scripts into one as another project. This code is at the very bottom of the page, loading after Google Analytics.

Let me try and describe the stemming problem again.

An advertiser called today. She could not find her company name in the Zoom search. Their company name is Nox-Crete.

If I search for Nox* it shows up, and Nox does not. The problem is around the hyphen, and I have many companies and products with hyphens. The stemming search apparently does not consider nox to be part of nox-crete.

I tried various settings in the Zoom program - under Indexing options I turned on and off Indexing word rules for hyphens and it would not find nox either way.

Suggestions?

As one solution I plan to change the company name in multiple places so all the variations are on the indexed pages - NoxCrete, Nox-Crete and Nox Crete - on different pages.

Colin Gilboy

Comment

First, I had not noticed that the highlight code was not working. Last time I tried it did. To avoid loading 15k 6,000 times a day I minified the javascript code and then moved it to a separate domain with our static images. The minified code is about 3,800 bytes. As your programming called the highlight on the body load, it interfered with our other script that also is called on the body load. I combined the highlight onload call into the one we use for tracking. I'll take apart the changes and see what does not work. I was also thinking of combining the two scripts into one as another project. This code is at the very bottom of the page, loading after Google Analytics.
        This is not what I was talking about. I was talking about the highlighting on the actual search results page (where the search results are listed). Not the pages you see after you click on the search result.

In both cases however, there is no highlighting occurring because, as I mentioned in my last post, you have not defined the CSS for the ".highlight" class. In other words, you haven't specified how you want the highlighting to appear.

Please look at the previous links I gave you regarding using CSS. You need something like the following in your CSS:

Code:
        .highlight { background: #FFFF40; }
        This is part of the instructions for adding the jump to highlighting script, as well as the default CSS as mentioned above.

An advertiser called today. She could not find her company name in the Zoom search. Their company name is Nox-Crete.

If I search for Nox* it shows up, and Nox does not. The problem is around the hyphen, and I have many companies and products with hyphens. The stemming search apparently does not consider nox to be part of nox-crete.
        As I said in my last post, I tried searching for "Nox" on your site and it finds results containing mentions of Nox-Crete. In particular, the URL you gave in your original post (http://www.4specs.com/s/03/03-3500.html) is returned as a result when I search for either "Nox" or "Nox-Crete".

Please recheck this situation. You're either confused or you've changed something so that this is no longer the current behaviour. If you still think a page is not appearing that should when you search for "Nox", tell us exactly what page (URL) this is.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Apologies - I must have reverted to an older css file that did not have the .highlight code. I recently worked on cleaning the css file.

It does work. I must have changed one of the search options and did not upload the new files when I checked.

Colin

Comment

Working...
          X