modifying the search page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying the search page

Firstly many thanks for your time and patience!

I have managed to install a personal search form but cannot figure out
    how to?

1 Hide the option box with the fixed [100] in it

2 remove the small text "result found"
    Last edited by trew; Jul-15-2009, 06:48 AM.

You have created a custom search box on the "search_template.html" page, which is not really necessary unless you wanted to make some drastic change to the way the search form appears (which you haven't done).

You did this by presumably, copying the HTML from the following FAQ and setting the option to "Do not Generate" search form in the Indexer (as described in the FAQ).
    Q. How do I put search forms on pages besides the search page? (Or define my own search form?)

If you do not understand HTML (which seems to be the case here), it probably doesn't make sense to use this approach. But if you wish to continue this way, it would be easiest if you referenced some HTML tutorials on how a form works.

You have this specified in your HTML:

Code:
    Results per page:
    <select name='zoom_per_page'>
    <option selected=  "hidden" "selected">100</option>
    </select>
    This creates the dropdown box for the results per page option (although it's broken because you attempted to change it with a "hidden" value which doesn't make sense). If you didn't want this option, then the above lines should be removed entirely from the form.

If this was the only reason you wanted a customize search form, you could have done it much more simply by using the default, generated search form, and simply adding one line of CSS like:

Code:
    .zoom_results_per_page { display: none; }
    Understanding HTML and CSS are crucial for furthering your ability to develop web sites. If you do not understand these, you will eventually run into dead ends in what you can do.

I have tried to explain the above as clearly and succinctly as possible.

Regarding question #2, I'm not sure if you really want to remove just the words "results found" or the entire line that reports "x results found". Presumably the latter, because it would be ridiculous if "No results found" would now just say "No".

You can again, do this with CSS, like this:

Code:
    .summary { display: none; }
    Please see this FAQ:
    Q. How do I customize the appearance of my search results with CSS?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

thanks

You are quite correct in that I really need to get a better understanding.
      My html editor is wysiwyg not very good for getting a grounding with
      htm basics.
      I could not find a search engine anywhere that was optimized for a photographers website so chose Zoomsearch because it was the best of the bunch.
      It didn't at first look too difficult to modify the search results page.
      For someone who knows what they are doing it may not be too hard to accomplish what I was trying to achieve and that was to display all results as images.
      As you say I will have to go deeper with my knowledge.

Another alternative may be if one of your experienced fellows could
      make up a photographers template and make it available for purchase
      in your resources?

Thankyou again
      Last edited by trew; Jul-15-2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X