No announcement yet.

Issues with thumbnails not displaying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with thumbnails not displaying.

Hey everyone.
    I've read and re-read the manual for including thumbnails on the results pages, as well as the how-to, and I seem to still be having issues.

Issue 1:
    My thumbnail results are coming back broken, and the file location is incorrect when viewing the properties. All the image links are coming back referencing the directory that the search files reside in, and seem to be ignoring the meta tag data I have included in the actual page.
    (ex. http://www.showyourlogo.com/search/imprint%20stress%20ball is shown in the broken link properties)

Issue 2:
    My thumbnails reside in the same directory as the item pages, typically formatted like "my-filename-th.jpg". The hyphens seem to be ignored and treated as spaces which I believe is causing additional issues. Hyphens, Dots, Underscores, Apostrophes, Hash signs and Slashes are set to join words under Indexing options.

Issue 3:
    I only want to display thumbnails for selected pages and not every page which is why I have opted to use the meta tag option, however the results page is kicking back broken place holders for pages that I have not tagged. Am I not able to selectively include thumbnails without "thumbnailing" the entire site?

URL: showyourlogo.com
    Search file(s) location: showyourlogo.com/search
    Test Page: showyourlogo.com/stress-relievers/imprint-stress-balls2.htm
    Test Query: Pig
    [V6 build 1016]

I look forward to fixing these problems so I can fully implement this search.
    --Chris

We've had a look at your site and believe the problems you're experiencing are caused by a bug in the current build (V6.0 build 1016).

This bug is triggered when there are pipe (the vertical bar: |) characters in the page titles. More information here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3408

We will be issueing the new build (V6.0 build 1017) with this bug fixed as soon as possible, so keep a close eye on our website (in particular, the "What's New" page)

Originally posted by syl_chris View Post
    Issue 3:
    I only want to display thumbnails for selected pages and not every page which is why I have opted to use the meta tag option, however the results page is kicking back broken place holders for pages that I have not tagged. Am I not able to selectively include thumbnails without "thumbnailing" the entire site?
    I don't see the meta ZOOMIMAGE tag anywhere on your site at the moment. Perhaps you've changed it since your post?

If you only use the ZOOMIMAGE meta tag to specify images, then you can have some pages with thumbnails, and some without.

If you have also configured thumbnails to be associated to a particular file extension (in your case, ".htm"), then it is possible that files without any image meta tag will have a broken image placeholder appear. This is because you have configured it to expect an image by the same filename. This is the setting you control via "Configure"->"Scan options"->Double click on ".htm"->"Configure images".

To avoid the latter issue, you can either turn it off and only use ZOOMIMAGE meta tags or you can simply go to "Configure"->"Spider options" and check the option for "Check thumbnails exists on website before using URL".
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

In regards to the pipe (|) issue:
      I plan on having a custom title and description added to each page so that ZOOM only returns the exact text that I want in the results. I plan on using the ZOOMTITLE and ZOOMDESCRIPTION meta tags to accomplish this. So I don't need to index the actual title tag on the .htm pages. Can I use the ZOOMSTOP, ZOOMRESTART, (and other commands as noted in the users guide in section 7.5) to skip the problematic title tag? Can I Stop and Restart in a head section? If so, will ZOOM exhibit the bug behavior if I accidentally skip a page? Is there a limit on how many times I can stop and restart on a given page?

Regarding thumbnailing:
      I have the ZOOMIMAGE tag on 3 test pages, but all 3 pages have pipes in the titles, which may explain the issues there.

I do not have thumbnails configured under Configure images for *.htm, but I do have the "Check thumbnails exists on website before using URL" setting turned on as a attempt to avoid the broken image issue I am currently dealing with. Since I have broken placeholders as it is, should I turn that option off? Does it make a difference to use that option if I am using only ZOOMIMAGE meta tags?

I look forward to hearing from you soon,
      --Chris

Comment

The new build (V6.0 build 1017) with the bug fixed is already available. Download it from the What's New page linked above.

There should be no problems with pipe characters now, so it should not be necessary to try to skip the problematic title tag.

But yes, you can use ZOOMSTOP and ZOOMRESTART in the head section.

There is no limit on the number of times you can stop and restart on a given page. But you cannot have nested stops/restarts, so make sure you don't do something like this:

<!--ZOOMSTOP-->
        This won't be indexed
        <!--ZOOMSTOP-->
        This still won't be indexed.
        <!--ZOOMRESTART-->
        This will actually be indexed!!
        <!--ZOOMRESTART-->

Basically, you shouldn't ever have a ZOOMSTOP following a ZOOMSTOP. There should always be a ZOOMRESTART following a ZOOMSTOP.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by syl_chris View Post
          I do not have thumbnails configured under Configure images for *.htm, but I do have the "Check thumbnails exists on website before using URL" setting turned on as a attempt to avoid the broken image issue I am currently dealing with. Since I have broken placeholders as it is, should I turn that option off? Does it make a difference to use that option if I am using only ZOOMIMAGE meta tags?
          No, that option only checks thumbnail URLs configured via the Scan Options panel and associated with the file extension.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Build 1017 has deff. corrected the pipe character issue and has got my thumbs working as desired (on my test pages at least).

So good job Ray, and all the crew!

So far ZOOM is kicking arse... thanks!

I'll check in with any other issues, or at least to show off my site and your search engine.

Cheers!
            Last edited by syl_chris; Jul-17-2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X