Question about search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about search results

I have three terms that i search for with the radio button as all search words:
    water pollution control

I have one result that has both pollution, control inside the document just missing water. I thought all option would need to have all the words.

Thanks

Yes, "match all search words" should return only pages that contain all the words in the search query.

Can you give us a URL to the search page so we can take a look?

There are many possible reasons why this may be broken. For example, you may have created a custom search form and changed the HTML for the radio button. Or the extra word might be not visible for some reason. e.g. it is in the meta data.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Here is the search page. http://www.ncsl.org/Home/SearchResults/tabid/702/Default.aspx?zoom_query=water%20pollution%20contro l.
      This is so customized you might not be able to help. But when you get the results use the filters at the top to clear all then select report or just scroll down and look for
      "[Legislatures and Citizens] Communication Between Representatives and Their Constituents"

I looked at the source when I do my search for the word. I am not out looking for these items I just emails from people asking why is this in the search results etc. So just trying to find some sort of a reason. Thanks for taking a look.

Comment

As you pointed out, you have modified the search script source code (significantly). So we don't actually know what it does any more. Taking a brief look, we can confirm that the problem is almost definitely in the code that you changed.

We can see from here that the radio buttons to switch between "match any search words" and "match all search words" on your page have been replaced with the following in the HTML:

Code:
        <span id="dnn_ctr1918_NCSLSearch_lbl_match">Match:</span>
        <input id="dnn_ctr1918_NCSLSearch_rb_and" type="radio" name="dnn$ctr1918$NCSLSearch$zoom_and" value="rb_and" checked="checked" />
        <label for="dnn_ctr1918_NCSLSearch_rb_and">all search words</label>
        <input id="dnn_ctr1918_NCSLSearch_rb_or" type="radio" name="dnn$ctr1918$NCSLSearch$zoom_and" value="rb_or" />
        <label for="dnn_ctr1918_NCSLSearch_rb_or">any search words</label>
        These are totally different parameter names, and totally different parameter values than what Zoom originally uses. Our code expects "zoom_and" with a value of 1 when it needs to execute a "match all" and a value of 0 when it needs to "match any". You have something else all together and values like "rb_or" and "rb_and". You need to check whether you have changed the code accordingly so that it will accept these values.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I rechecked and my logical is correct but I think I figured it the problem from another post you had.

"We never designed both of these features to be enabled at the same time, because stemming is not suited to asian languages, and substring is only designed for asian languages. "

I noticed that both Steming and Substring Match were selected and from how I read your other post it should not have them both checked. Since Substring is mostly for asian languages. I am running index now and will see what results I get.

Comment

Working...
          X