Limitations of Standard Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limitations of Standard Edition

I just purchased the Standard Edition and the website states it will handle 100 pages. I managed to get 29 pages indexed and 67 jpg files and now I get the message that I have to upgrade to the Professional Edition to index more pages/jpg's.
    Is this a limitation of this edition that is not explained correctly? I could not find anything that stated the jpg's counted as web pages.
    Last edited by RickM; Jul-18-2009, 05:32 PM.

A HTML page counts as a page.
    A PDF file (regardless of the number of pages in the PDF file) counts as a single page
    If you decide to index images, then each image counts as a page.
    Each dymanic PHP page counts as a page.

So it is pretty much a count of files that you index. Except in cases like scripting where sometimes you have can one script producing many pages.

I assume that if you turn off indexing of images, you can index more HTML pages on your site?

Comment

I know if I turn off indexing of images I can index more HTML pages on my site. Nowhere on the site does it mention images counting towards the 100 page limitation. Nowehere in the documentation does it mention this limitation. Now I guess if I want to pay double what I paid for the Standard edition I will get what I need, but I think it is wrong to not mention such a glaring limitation up front. A page is a page, an image is an image. I have never considered an image to be the same as a page (for counting purposes) and it is just wrong to impose such a limitation without making it clear up front. I think it is a great product but this is not the way to get people to upgrade. I am one upset user at this point.

Comment

I agree that maybe we could have offered a more detailed explaination. And I have updated the page in response to your comments.

But we also never stated that the limit was only on HTML pages. And never stated that capacity was unlimited on all files types except HTML. Which is what you are implying it should be.

For example if I said your should visit this web page below.
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/images/...creenshots.png
        Are you really going to argue that that this doesn't qualify as page on the web becuase it has an image on the page??

I would further argue that people commonly use the term web "page" to refer to more than just HTML format pages. The common usage use of the term "page" is really another term for "URL" and covers files of many types.

There is a discounted $55 upgrade from Std to Pro. Or we can give a full refund your order if you aren't happy with the product. Just contact us for details.

Comment

Rick - It's unfortunate that there was this misunderstanding. But I just want to add that, we did not choose to use the word "page" to intentionally mislead anybody.

We used the word "page" on the "Compare the Editions" page linked above, with the aim of making it understandable to more inexperienced users who are not used to thinking of their website in terms of "files". It can also be confusing for users who may have thousands of files on their website (comprising background images, borders, emoticons, etc), but only need to index a subset of those files which are the actual web pages containing searchable content.

Originally posted by RickM View Post
          I know if I turn off indexing of images I can index more HTML pages on my site. Nowhere on the site does it mention images counting towards the 100 page limitation. Nowehere in the documentation does it mention this limitation.
          In the software and the documentation, the limit setting is quite clearly specified as "Max. files to index" (on the "Configure"->"Limits" panel within the Indexer) and it does not ever specifically say "HTML pages".

In the Help file, and Users Guide, on chapter 2.2.7, it says this:

Max files to scan
          This specifies the number of web pages or files that can be scanned and included in the index.
          We'll make an effort to clarify this further to hopefully avoid any misunderstandings in the future. But I hope it is also clear that there was no intention to mislead.
          Last edited by Ray; Jul-20-2009, 01:10 AM.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Fair enough. I checked out the change you made to the Compare Editions page and it is now clear that I should have (and would have) ordered the Professional Edition to accomplish what I want to do.
            I will be ordering the upgrade to Professional so I can move on.

Thank you for your quick response.

Comment

Working...
            X