Issues with 404 page not displaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with 404 page not displaying

Currently I am trying to add the zoom search to an Intranet site. I have fallowed all the examples and made sure the server is up to date as required.
    However the search.asp page that I try to point to constantly will not show both on the server and from the client.

I have tried to add it to the root level and within a subfolder and tried many variations of the URL to point to it yet no matter what I do it still does not register.

Any ideas?

edit/ Seems also that even with advanced settings set to add a search box the asp page will not do so. When even trying to launch search.asp I get the 404 error.

Comment

If you get a broken link, 404, error from a brwoser, then the URL must be incorrect.
      Maybe you uploaded the files to the wrong folder on your server or made a typo in the URL?

What folder on your server did you upload the files to?
      What URL did you try?
      What type of server is this? (IIS or Apache, Windows or Linux)

Comment

The server is a windows 2003 server with IIS installed. The files are getting uploaded to \\nias-sharepoint\niambit\ too the root of the site. I have tried to link the search to open a different page in the same area of the search.asp page and this works fine but replacing the URL with the search page does not.

Should the 404 error occur though if I am just opening the search page by itself not via the search templates. Its as if the server does not believe the file is uploaded even though I can see it there?

Comment

IIS will report a 404 "File not found" error (despite how misleading that sounds) for any file type which is not in its list of extensions or file types to serve.

So it sounds to me that you most likely don't have Classic ASP support enabled on your IIS server. And ".asp" is not in the list of file extensions to handle. Note that this is different from ASP.NET (".aspx"). When you say other pages work are they ".asp" pages?
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I seem to be having the same issue. My scenario is as follows:

Server running win2003server. .NET 2.0 (using the asp.net platform option)
            I have installed the .net server control.

I have the server control and the application publishing to a directory named zoom (root\zoom) and have all of the files in this directory.

In IIS, I have set this (zoom) directory to execute as an application. So from what I have read in the user manual, I think I have everything configured correctly.

After all this, my search.aspx file is also returning a 404 error:
            http://www.natca.org/zoom/search.aspx

I do have the mime type in IIS. I know that the search_template.html file doesn't matter in this instance but it does render at:
            http://www.natca.org/zoom/search_template.html so that tells me the paths are correct.

I'm missing something obviously but not sure what. Any help appreciated.

Doug

Comment

After all this, my search.aspx file is also returning a 404 error:
              http://www.natca.org/zoom/search.aspx
              Actually is isn't returning a 404. I think you are confused. It is returning a 302 (which is a redirect). The redirect goes to a page on your server called /natca/500.aspx

Given the name of the file (500.aspx) and I am guessing it is a custom error page you have setup for server side 500 errors.

Here is the Wget trace, showing the above.

--21:06:42-- http://www.natca.org:80/zoom/search.aspx
              => `search.aspx'
              Connecting to www.natca.org:80... connected!
              HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
              Location: /natca/500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/zoom/search.aspx [following]
              /natca/500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/zoom/search.aspx: Unknown/unsupported protocol.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and for the replies via email. Thought I should move the matter here.

Right, not a 404, my bad. In other words, dealing with a 500 error on trying to render search.aspx.

Any ideas why the server would not want to allow this page? The site is fully configured for .net 2, I have the server control installed and the directory is an application. So through the basic install of the application, everything appears to be correct, yet search.aspx does not want to play.

After reading the manual and faq's, I'm unfortunately stuck on why this page will not display. Further ideas are appreciated.

Doug
                http://www.natca.org

Comment

The HTTP 500 error is a generic error message from the server. It just means there was a error on the server. Without more information it is almost meaningless. So getting a better error message should be the priority.

If you turn off the custom error page, then IIS might return a more detailed .NET error. You should also turn off Show friendly HTTP error messages checkbox in IE advanced options, if you are using IE, as this can also hide some error messages.

Also on the server in the IIS configuration, go to the home directory tab of the application, click on Configuration, go to the Debugging tab, and make sure "Send detailed error messages to the client" is selected.

You can also look in the server's event log, as there might be more information about the error than you get back in the browser.

Comment

Working...
                  X