Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Links/zoom_highlight Issue

Hi,

I have used Recommended Links successfully, with no issues. All of my links point to a page (not a specific "href link" within the page).

I now have a need to point the recommended links to a specific link in a specific page.

For example, here is the information in the Config file for a recommended link:

Seed|../../../Doc/files/WhatNew/start.html|What's New In This Release

When I search for seed, recommended links displays and works perfectly. However, when I change it to:

Seed|../../../Doc/files/WhatNew/start.html#seed77|What's New In This Release

and search for seed, recommended links display in the search results as expected, but the link does not work as expected. When I click on the recommended link from the search result page, it only takes me to the correct page: "../../../Doc/files/WhatNew/start.html". It does not take me to the correct link in the page (href: #seed77), and the address in the browser window is:
    <snip> start.html?zoom_highlight=seed#seed77?zoom_highlig ht=seed

Any suggestions?

thank you!

sorry, I forgot to mention:

I'm using Version 6, build 1009, Professional Edition, in javascript

Comment

We have confirmed that this is a problem in the current release. It only affects the "jump to highlighting" feature and pages which have a named anchor, which can only occur in recomended links, not normal search results.

The script currently adds the "?zoom_highlight=myword" parameter to the URL in such a manner that named anchors "#myanchor" precede it, like so:
      http://mysite.com/mypage.html#myanchor?zoom_highlight=myword

It turns out that this is invalid. Although it doesn't explain why IE then manipulates this and turns it into this:
      http://mysite.com/mypage.html?zoom_highlight=myword#myanchor?zoom_hi ghlight=myword

That is odd, but I have confirmed that to be a quirk of IE.

For the next release (V6.0 build 1019), we'll fix this so that the valid URL is generated like so:
      http://mysite.com/mypage.html?zoom_highlight=myword#myanchor

Having said all that, it's worth noting that you will likely get a functional conflict between the two elements here -- both the highlighting and the anchor will want the page to be scrolled to a certain place. The anchor tells the browser to scroll to the named marker, but the jump to highlighting script will want to scroll the browser window to the first occurence of the searched word.

(P.S. E-mail us if you need a preliminary patch of the new "search.js" which addresses the above).
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. I may have to do some additional tweaking in the config file to avoid the conflict between the highlighting and the anchor, but I may be able to get it to work. I'll have a look at each keyword and determine the best solution for that word based on its occurrence within the document.

Do you have an estimated time the next release (V6.0 build 1019) will be available? If it will be available by end of November, then I think I'm okay with not getting a preliminary file. If it will be released in December, then I will contact you.

Thanks again!

Comment

No fixed date at the moment. Usually it depends on the accumulation of changes and/or the presence of any critical/more serious bugs. Just let us know when you want it and if it's not available.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ok, thanks.....

I'll be in touch in about 2 weeks, if something hasn't been released by then.

Comment

Thanks again - I just noticed a new release that includes this fix.

(I was just about to email and ask for the new script!)

I'll post back if I find any issues...

thank you!

Comment

Thanks again - works like a charm and even better than I expected!

Comment

Working...
                X