No announcement yet.

New user wants to "Skin" the results layout with my website header and footer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user wants to "Skin" the results layout with my website header and footer

OK, I have a test page posted and I've used the CSS FAQ to modify the appearance of search results. But I cannot figure out how to put my website header and footer on the results page. I am not a developer or programmer, I am a web content manager who wants to add a non-Google search engine to my website.

So far, I tried pasting my header and footer code into the search_template.html and to the search.php files with no success. Here is my test page http://www.biocius.com/co/partners_zoom.html. If you search for "rf 200" you can see how my results look -- just missing the website look and feel.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to read how to do this? and please don't tell me I need to create a javascript include file, because although I know what this is I have absolutely no idea how to do it and no one here who knows either.

There are several methods.

But the easiest is to just include your HTML header and footer code in the search_template.html file.

I tried pasting my header and footer code into the search_template.html
    I had a look in your file, but didn't see any HTML code that looked like it might be a header or footer.

Comment

To explain it another way (that hopefully is easier to comprehend for you given that you have little web authoring experience as you say), consider how you would normally add a new page to your website.

Do this, and make the new file in the "search" subfolder you have already created. Name (or rename) this file as "search_template.html". Then add a single line:

<!--ZOOMSEARCH-->

... placed in the HTML code, where you want the search results to appear. This should get you most of the way there. (You might want to save your previous CSS changes so you can put them in your new template page).
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I just created a new html file from scratch using my clients css styles and put the magic '<!--ZOOMSEARCH--->' word where i wanted it:

http://patrickirelandframes.com/search/search.php?zoom_per_page=10&zoom_and=1&zoom_sort=0 &zoom_query=gold

Additionally, i used the div class tags from the zoomsearch results and assigned my own styles to them.

Comment

Quick and easy

Just copy and paste code into a new search-template.html file and upload. (it works - see link to sample in post below)
          Last edited by j_uu; Dec-04-2009, 04:54 PM. Reason: update

Comment

it works

sample:

http://patrickirelandframes.com/FILES/zoom.html

Comment

i don't know where the sample code has gone???

Gimmie a pm and i'll send it to you FREE

Comment

There is no need to post huge blocks of HTML code from your web site, when 99% of the code will only be applicable for your site.

Comment

It was for kgueter to use as his 'search-template.html'. None of the code in the html posted, or in the sample linked to, uses anything from my server - it was 'ready-to-go' for kgueter

Comment

OK I see. Just didn't want to fill up our forum database more than necessary.
                    The download link is there is any case & kgueter seems to have disappeared.

Comment

Thanks for your detailed responses, I appreciate it very much. Will have a hack at it on Tuesday when back in the office.

Comment

What a relief! Followed your instructions and it worked. Thanks again.

Comment

New search-template.html file related pictures

Hi
                          I just copied and pasted into a new search-template.html file. All photos in new search-template couldn't be displayed. Could you let me know where did you store all pictures. Many thanks

Originally posted by j_uu View Post
                          Quick and easy

Just copy and paste code into a new search-template.html file and upload. (it works - see link to sample in post below)

Comment

The template file name is, search_template.html (and not search-template.html). We supply this file, so you don't need to create it.

I just copied and pasted into...
                            You didn't mention what you pasted, but I assume you pasted some of your own HTML code into the file?

If your HTML code includes links to photos and the photos are not displaying, then the path to the image is probalby wrong. Or you didn't upload the photos. The search_template.html file is the same as any other HTML file. If you introduce broken links, then just fix them up as you would normally for the rest of your site.

Comment

Working...
                            X