Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create zoom searchine in ASP.NET

Hi,

Sorry, but i am confused about creating the zoom search engine in a masterpage in a ASP.NET website. Please can you help me?
    I installed the zoomASPX.dll en placed it in the bin folder. Snippets of the masterpage are:
    Code:
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.IO" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Diagnostics" %>
    <%@ Master Language="VB" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="ZoomASPX" Namespace="ZoomASPX" TagPrefix="cc2" %>
    <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="cc1" %>
    <%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
      Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    And the link in the masterpage:
    Code:
    <div>
    <cc2:ASPXSearch
                    ID="ASPXSearch1" runat="server" />
            </div>
    And finally search.aspx
    Code:
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.IO" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Diagnostics" %>
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<script runat="server">

</script>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <div>
        <%
            Dim psi As ProcessStartInfo = New ProcessStartInfo
        psi.FileName = Server.MapPath("search.cgi")
        psi.EnvironmentVariables("REQUEST_METHOD") = "GET"
        psi.EnvironmentVariables("QUERY_STRING") = paramStr
        psi.EnvironmentVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") = Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
        psi.RedirectStandardInput = False
        psi.RedirectStandardOutput = True
        psi.UseShellExecute = False
        Dim proc As Process = Process.Start(psi)
        proc.StandardOutput.ReadLine()
        Dim zoom_results As String = proc.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd
        ' read from stdout
        proc.WaitForExit()
        ' Print the output
        Response.Write(zoom_results)
        %>

</div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    The user guide and other files at this place did'nt help me.

Sorry forn the text, but i am dutch. I understand the english language good, but to write is difficult.

Please can you help me?

With regards, Willem

It appears that you have confused the instructions for using the ASP.NET Server Control and Using the CGI on an ASP.NET website. These are two different solutions and you are following instructions from both when you should only be following one of them.

Note the paragraphs at the top of the second page linked above which explain this.

Since you can install the ASP.NET Server Control, you should reference chapter 3.2 in the Users Guide for full instructions. Simply placing the DLL file in the bin folder will not work. There are setup procedures required from IIS Manager to enable the application.

Your "search.aspx" is currently wrong if you wish to use the Server Control. You may want to delete this and reinstall the server control (uninstall from "Control Panel"->"Add or remove programs"). When you install again, the installer automatically creates a "search.aspx" file in the selected folder for you. Get this working first (as per instructions) before you attempt to modify it.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

create aspx

Hi,

Okay that's clear for me. I only am going to work with the zoomaspx.dll. The confusion started, because in the chapter in the user's guide tell about iis. Unfortunately i can't install iis, because i have'nt got the Windows-cd. But that's no problem? My webhosting provider does have iis installed. That's oké?

With regards, Willem

Comment

IIS is Microsoft's web server. It is the primary platform for ASP.NET and the only platform officially supported by Microsoft.

What exactly do you mean to claim, when you say you are using ASP.NET and not IIS? Are you actually saying you are using a third party platform (such as Mono to allow ASP.NET to run on Linux servers?) or are you just very confused? If you are not hosting on Windows or IIS, please state exactly what platform and web server you are running.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

create aspx

Hi,

most probably you did misunderstand me, because i explained it not wel. Naturally i know what iis is. No problem, but i'm a software engineer. IIS is not installed at my computer and when i try to install iis, there will be asked for the windows XP installation disk. But i don't think that is a problem, because the search engine will run at my web hosting provider and they have a Windows server 200X platform with of course IIS installed. So i don't need IIS at my computer?
          Do you understand what i mean?

With regards, Willem

Comment

So, to clarify, you are asking about running an ASP.NET Server Control on your home computer (or development machine) for testing purposes, without IIS? But you will be hosting and deploying it on an IIS Server?

As far as I know, you cannot officially run a server control without a server. There are various third party servers (such as Cassini) which act as a light weight substitute for IIS and some people use them for development purposes. But to me, it seems rather silly: if you are going to deploy on an IIS server, then you should be testing on an IIS server. Otherwise you are just going to find yourself running into issues that you wouldn't find on the live server, or vice versa.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi,

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 consist a built-in web-server, but the basic of the problem is how must i in VWDE or Visual Studio program the Zoom Search Engine using the ASP.NET servercontrol?

With regards, Willem

Comment

create aspx

Hi,

Really sorry, but why i do not succeed to make a Zoom search engine. Please tell me what to do?
                I have to deploy the website in a few days to go online. Everything works except the search engine.

With regards, Willem

Comment

but why i do not succeed .... Please tell me what to do
                  This isn't a detailed enough description of the problem to really provide any sensible new advice beyond what was already provided.

Comment

create aspx

Hi,

Okay, let me try to explain. I bought a Zoom search engine for a website of me, which was made in ASP.NET. After buying i downloaded the servercontrol and placed zoomaspx.dll in the bin directory. After that i read the usersguide, but it tells me that i must approach IIS. The 'problem'(?) is that i haven't got IIS and i don't have a Windows XP-cd to install IIS, but i assume that isn't a problem because my (developing)laptop isn't a webserver. The webhosting provider, where that website is running, naturally has IIS running.
                    Again, how do i have to install the Zoom search engine, or do i have to approach the web hosting provider with IIS?

With regards, Willem

Comment

If you choose to use the ASP.NET option in Zoom, then you need to use the ASP.NET server control.

The ASP.NET server control needs to be installed on your web server, which will normally be a IIS server. You should reference chapter 3.2 in the Users Guide for full instructions. Simply placing the DLL file in the bin folder will not work

If you don't control the web server, then yes, you will need to talk to the person who controls the machine in order to get software installed. There are setup procedures required from IIS Manager to enable the application.

But to be honest, if the concept of installing a .NET server control on a server seems confusing to you, then you might be better off with the Zoom ASP or PHP options which are easier to install.

Comment

Just wanted to reiterate my previous statement that: if you are going to deploy on an IIS server, then you should be testing on an IIS server. Otherwise you are just going to find yourself running into issues that you wouldn't find on the live server, and vice versa. As you are doing now.
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                        X