A presale question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A presale question

I came upon your search tool while looking for a spider/crawler to index PPT, Word documents and PDF's across multiple domains.

Essentially, I want to put your search box on ONE portal page that contains links to numerous other intranet websites. The links point to various documents that reside on different corporate repositories that require DIFFERENT logins, and these documents are typically around 1Mb in size.

For example, one link points to a specific PDF that needs NT login, but the next link points to a specific Word Doc that requires "corporate login." The page is full of these types of links.

Is Zoom Search what I need to satisfy the boss? Please advice.

Thanks!

Your description of "corporate login" is too vague and ambiguous to indicate what you mean. "NT login", I would suppose, imply that it is a shared folder on a Windows local network. Let us know if this is not the case.

Assuming you are indexing local files (files served through a LAN via the file system with paths like "\\bob\sharedfiles\myfile.pdf"), and not via HTTP (e.g. "http://bob/sharedfiles/myfile.pdf").Then you may need to index from a machine which has access to all the folders necessary. If you have logged into the folder/machine via Explorer, Zoom will be able to access the files. HTTP authentication is a whole different bag so let us know if you meant that instead.

Either way, Zoom will not remember a list of different username and passwords to use for different folder locations. Frankly, you may want to reconsider your file organisation if this is truly necessary with your current setup.

You should also consult this FAQ page first regarding the supported methods of authentication:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/auth.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thank you very much for getting back with me.

There are many modes of authentication because the company is quite large. We have access levels based on NT authentication, Unix, and other proprietary systems. I wish I could reorganize the whole structure, but that would be something nobody would even attempt to tackle.

The pages I would like to index are all authenticated html-based pages with a link to a particular document, similar to M$ SharePoint.

I will read more on your FAQ's. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X