Another Duplicate Content ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Duplicate Content ?

Q. How should I index my site if it features a message board, forum, or calendar and other similarly complex scripts,

I read that page. When was that written? If google used those methods
    most site would have 3 pages.

Is that still the best solution? How about a non complex piece of HTML.
    Called a Header , included in ever page via PHP. And I using the JS
    Out put. Now I an already low on resources .

Thank got I 100 pages of almost the same content.

How about 3 lines of code? NoParsingBefore = ($html). etc......

How about a solution. Like a few easily added commands the allow the USER to Choose a bit more options? Instead of Stuffing "zoom_query=" Down Mine and other peoples FACE. We that Spent money on this program .

$300 And I have e ZOOM 3 time in my URL'S. Not to mention
    The 30 extra long Useless letters and 3 underscores it adds. YEA 30 +

Why don

Seriously. What is the need to have 30 to 40 extra characters in an URL.
    Advertising... Surely........

q= works better the "zoom_query="

Not many people want to buy anything then Realize it has an ad that was put there for that reason. Most people don't have a clue how to remove it.

Another word on the ZOOM lATER.

Clearly you seem to be a bit upset, but I am not really sure why. But we'll do our best to address whatever problems you have.

I read that page. When was that written...
    The FAQ question you are referring to was written a few years back, but it is still relevant and useful today. As far as we know it is correct and fairly reasonably comprehensive. If you think it could be improved constructive criticism is welcome.

Is that still the best solution? How about a non complex piece of HTML.
    Yes it is still the best solution for indexing calendar scripts and forums. It allows Zoom to know in advance what pages are not worth indexing & to avoid downloading them. Many of our customer are on slow internet links, so by avoiding the download of many irrelevant pages the effeciency of the indexing process vastly improves and bandwidth is saved.

It is not the only solution however. Zoom can automatically filter duplicate content, but it needs to be downloaded before it can be determined to be duplicate by CRC checks. So it is not very effecient.

Zoom can also use robots.txt files and noindex meta tags. Which are also used by Google to stop the indexing of pages.

But if you have "non complex piece of HTML" then this FAQ doesn't apply.

Called a Header , included in ever page via PHP. And I using the JS Out put. Now I an already low on resources .
    I am not sure what resources you are refering to. If you wish to filter out common text, which appears on every page, then see this FAQ,
    Q. How do I prevent parts of my webpage from being indexed (eg. exclude navigation menus, or page footers)?

Javscript is also the worst performing script we offer. If speed and resource use are an issues consider the higher performing CGI solution.

Thank got I 100 pages of almost the same content
    This can really only happen if your web site has 100 pages of nearly identical content. Maybe the FAQ might help filter out the sections of your pages which are identical?

How about 3 lines of code? NoParsingBefore = ($html). etc......
    I am not sure what you are asking about / suggesting here. "NoParsingBefore = ($html)" isn't really code that does anything in any scripting language I know.

How about a solution. Like a few easily added commands the allow the USER to Choose a bit more options?
    Zoom is already very configurable. We also offer the ASP, PHP, & JS search scripts in clear text. So you can modify them if you want. I am not sure exactly what the problem is you are asking for a solution for. Again maybe the FAQ above covers it.

Why don
    Seriously. What is the need to have 30 to 40 extra characters in an URL.
    Advertising... Surely........
    Zoom is often used on pages with other scripts or integrated into other solutions. If we used generic paramter names like "q" in the URL then we risk interfering with other script using the same variable names. Using unique variable names with a zoom_ prefix avoids this.

q= works better the "zoom_query="
    Actually no. They would work the same. Except in the case of script incompatibilities, where "q" might be worse. But I admit that this is not the norm, and for many customers the URL could be shorter if we used short variable names like "q". I had the feeling we might have already added support for this for one specfic customer in one of the scripts, or we might have used "zq". I need to check on this point.

I don't know if you could claim the use of the "zoom_" text in the URL is advertising. I guess it might give away the solution you are using on your site if someone technical was to reverse engineer your site. But we don't see this as being a big concern.

Comment

Why always an old so called solution.

This is in reply to a reply. Seen Here.

http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3692

Assist or limit. But not both.
      Don't look to the past for answers make a solution.

Plain and Simple.

Stop making so many decisions for other people.
      Let zoom be more flexable.

Apologies, I am such an ass. But that freaking LONG URL stuff is BS.
      A DOS script with 3 lines fixed for me. Why not others.

Who cares if JS is the least performing script. The problem is the limit "Max description lenght" of 2000".

Now that is understandably correct. And I understand why.

But why not NoParsingbefore="<tr id=11>"

You have it with the <!--ZOOMSTOP-->
      Why not let the user input what to use as the variable to start and stop.

And the zoom_query URL stuff in just way too long. And the reason given was lame.

Why not let the USER decide.

I am speaking for your customers the might not know how to change the PHP and ASP scripts themselves.

I like your software.. Maybe I would like to see it with the better features I
      I mentioned.

I'd done Ranting and Crying.

I have some security issues to discuss with you.
      And I will be respectful and PM you.

Comment

Your 2nd post (above) was to a new thread, but it is related to this prior thread, so I have moved it to this thread.

Comment

Assist or limit. But not both.
          Don't look to the past for answers make a solution.
          Plain and Simple.
          Stop making so many decisions for other people.
          Let zoom be more flexable.
          As you pointed out, this is a pretty much a rant.

Adding flexibility that is not asked for, nor required, is adding complexity. The more complexity, the more bugs we'll introduce, the more complex our documentation will be and the more support we'll end up doing.

If enough people ask for a feature, and it is feasible, it will get implemented. Search the forums yourself, there are 13,000+ posts and no one is asking for the ability to configure tags like ZOOMSTOP.
          (To be fair we did have about 3 requests over 10 years for shorter URLs)

If others feel this is important they can add their request to this post.

Comment

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
            X