Won't index SHTML or ASP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't index SHTML or ASP

I almost bought the pro version for an intranet site, mostly because is searches in PDFs. I decided to check out the free version first. I can't even get it to index SHTML or ASP. I have gone through configuration a dozen times, save the new one, rescanned, ...etc, but all I get are a couple of HTML pages, because the site is almost entirely SHTML (public pages) and asp (secure pages and yes I did set the auto login thing in config).

What is the trick? Or do I have to pay to see anything other than HTML?

If you are using Offline mode then you won't be able to index ASP pages correctly. But in spider mode it should be no problem.

Same for HTTPS, it should be no problem.

HTTPS and dynamic ASP pages have fully been supported for many years. So the problem is likely to be elsewhere.

What is in your log file. Are then any error messages? Did the authentication work as expected? If this a public site what is the URL so that we can look at it.

See also these 3 FAQ's
    Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?

Q. Why are links in my Javascript menus being skipped?

Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

Comment

I think I figured it out. The site is blocked from search engines within robots.txt, I unchecked "Enable robots.txt support" under spider options.

One problem though. All the pages, asp and shtml both, have includes for the header and footer, this is for continuity of design and ease of adding, changing, and removing pages from the menu on the top of the page. The header file has no title tag, because each page has a title tag just below the top include. Zoom does seem to see the title though.

Comment

Originally posted by stone5150 View Post
        Zoom does seem to see the title though.
        That's good isn't it? Not sure what the problem is? Or was that a typo? Did you mean it doesn't see the title?

It is as per HTML standards that the <title>...</title> tags are within the <head>...</head> tags. If you really want to defy this, you can remove your <head> tags and it will pick it up anywhere on the page. We would recommend complying with standards though.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

One final question, do you offer a discount for non-profit organizations?

Comment

I found a workaround for that problem, pretty simple actually. remove any title tags in the header include and then do the pages like this, works with description tags too;

<head><title>Page Title</title>
            <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Words"></head>
            <!-- #INCLUDE FILE="header.htm" -->

<!--- rest of the page here ---->

Comment

One final question, do you offer a discount for non-profit organizations?
              We currently only offer volume discounts.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I just bought the Standard version yesterday, but it turns out that I am in need of more than 100 pages to be indexed, so I need to upgrade to Professional. I don't see that option anywhere, how do I do that?

Comment

Upgrade details are on this page.
                  http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/upgrade/upgrade.html

Basically for the Std to Pro, mail us for an upgrade link. (We check you purchased Std before allowing the discounted upgrade).

Comment

Why is it $5 more to upgrade from Std to Pro?

Comment

Why is it $5 more to upgrade from Std to Pro?
                      That's administrative overhead and credit card processing overhead to process your upgrade. It costs us money to process an order/transaction. We generally recommend that people select their purchases carefully.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                      X