Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrating zoom into Wordpress

Hello,

I am trying to integrate zoom into a Wordpress site. I have created a separate wordpress template page where the search box is located and as a result the look is seamless (http://casiopa.mediamouse.ca/search/).

When I conduct a search, the results do not show up in the template page that I created, rather they are presented in a relatively unformatted page (the search_template.html page). I have tried and tired to change this page as per the instructions on your website, but cannot seem to get the results to integrate into my template. The template is php based, not html and although you have stated that this shouldn't be a problem, I can't figure out why it's not working. When I try to use the php includes (<?php virtual("header.php"); ?>), I get an error.

I'm sure many other people use zoom with wordpress so any insights/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Britta

The simple quick approach is to just style the search_template.html page to look like the rest of your site. If your PHP code throws "errors" that you can't understand then this is probalby the best approach.

If you know some PHP and want to use PHP headers and footers, then see this FAQ.
    Q. How can I add server-side scripting (eg. PHP, ASP) to the search template?

Comment

Hello again,

Thank you for your response. I've been trying to work through this and I have made some progress. Specifically, just as the FAQs have outlined, I have created a separate php page (searchresults.php) which contains the layout of the page, the search box and the <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> include.

What I'm having trouble understanding is what I need to change in the search_template.html file?

Quote "Change the contents of "search_template.html" appropriately (since the output of the search script ("search.php" or "search.asp") now begins in the middle of another script (your custom "mysearch.php" file). For example, you would probably not need another set of <html> or <head> tags."

I have done this, but no matter what I change, the results are exactly the same.

And whenever I make a change to the configuration as per the instructions and reindex the site, the entire search_template.html page reverts back to the original and any changes I've made are lost.

The only way that I have managed to get this to work is by making the "search_template.html" the same as the searchresults.php page in order for the transition to appear to be seamless. Somehow this doesn't seem to be the best way to achieve this as I now have two additional files to update if I make a change to the site templates.

Thanks,

Britta

Comment

Originally posted by BJC View Post
        Thank you for your response. I've been trying to work through this and I have made some progress. Specifically, just as the FAQs have outlined, I have created a separate php page (searchresults.php) which contains the layout of the page, the search box and the <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> include.
        This doesn't sound right. If you are following these instructions, there should not be a <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> tag in your custom PHP search page ("searchresults.php"). Instead, there should be virtual() function call (or include) to "search.php". Perhaps you're confusing the instructions for modifying the HTML template file with the instructions for modifying/creating the embedded PHP search page.

What I'm having trouble understanding is what I need to change in the search_template.html file?

Quote "Change the contents of "search_template.html" appropriately (since the output of the search script ("search.php" or "search.asp") now begins in the middle of another script (your custom "mysearch.php" file). For example, you would probably not need another set of <html> or <head> tags."

I have done this, but no matter what I change, the results are exactly the same.
        If all the layout HTML is in your custom PHP search page (searchresults.php) then the search_template.html file can contain nothing but 1 line:

Code:
        <!--ZOOMSEARCH-->
        And whenever I make a change to the configuration as per the instructions and reindex the site, the entire search_template.html page reverts back to the original and any changes I've made are lost.
        The Indexer will only create a new "search_template.html" file if there is not already one in the output directory (the folder you set in Zoom, under the "Start options" as to where it will write the index files to).

So if you are indexing to an empty temporary folder, and then manually copying (or uploading) these files to the actual folder where you have your modified "search_template.html" file, then yes, you will be constantly overwriting the file you change.

You should modify the search_template.html file in your "output directory". Or you should set the output directory to the same folder as where you store your modified template file.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I have managed to get the search page working correctly and as expected now.

Comment

another wordpress user here and Im impressed by BJC's site that ive decided to try the free version on a small dev. site.

Comment

Hi Britta,

I read how you integrated ZOOM into your WordPress. Unfortunately, I have not yet succeeded in integrating it. Mabe this is why I need some more details. May I ask you to give me a step-by-step instruction?

I would be very grateful to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
              Feechen

Comment

Where did you get up to? What didn't work?

Comment

The search box is displayed in WordPress. I can enter search words and they will be found. But the search results are not displayed within WordPress. They are displayed as if WordPress does not exist and if it was a search without WordPress. When clicking on a link of a search result the correct WordPress page is displayed.

You can see it on this page:

http://schwarz.wegbegleiter.de/broschuren/

Try the word "Beispiel" and you will see what I mean.

Regards,
                  Feechen

Comment

I think I solved the problem. My mistake was that I created a template page and this did not work with displaying the search results. Now I created a separate php page and it works fine.

Regards,
                    Feechen
                    Last edited by Feechen; Jan-31-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I have made a more elaborate explanation in the past here:
                      http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4246

But it depends on the level of your PHP familiarity. If that post (and the advice above in the thread) doesn't make sense to you then you are better off just changing the search_template.html (with HTML only) to imitate the look of your Wordpress template, without actually using any PHP. You can do that quite simply by clicking "View Source" on a Wordpress page in your browser and copying the headers, footers, and menu HTML as needed.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your efforts! I am not quiet familiar to PHP but I know a little programming with another programming language. I understood all of the explanations on your site but I was searching for a step-by-step explanation which, by the way, I could not find on the whole Internet.

My problem was that I did not understand which page I had to create and how. First I thought I had to create a template. I succeeded to do so but ZOOM did not run. Then, I understood that I had to create a php page with the header information and layout information in it. This page must be linked in WordPress.

Now, I solved the problem with a php file which I linked to WordPress. I am very proud having succeeded because I am not familiar to PHP. Perhaps you will have a look on it? At the moment this is my test platform:

http://schwarz.wegbegleiter.de/

Look to the right above the search field and click on "Erweiterte Suche". Zoom Search will display. Please try the search word "Beispiel" and you will get two results. Isn't that phantastic?

I intend to write my solution on my homepage (not on the test platform) so that others also will be able to integrate ZOOM.

Regards,
                        Feechen

Comment

The link was down when I checked (it's returning a 404 page not found at http://schwarz.wegbegleiter.de/suchen) so I couldn't check it out. Maybe you're working on it at this very moment.

But yes, feel free to write an article on your site describing your process. We can provide a link to it here.
                          --Ray
                          Wrensoft Web Software
                          Sydney, Australia
                          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I am looking to implement zoom on a wordpress site.

Rather than do it myself I was hoping I could find somebody on this board that I could pay to do the work that has sorted out the bugs already and gotten it working.

The website is a rug store wherein there are various variables such as type of rug, size, region its from, etc.

Please contact me if you are interested.

eljefe949 at gmail.com

Comment

I want to include master file in my page.What are the most probable method in order to conceive it?

Comment

Working...
                              X