Japanese Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Results

I’ve been using Zoom successfully with my online help system, but when our translators attempt to create a Japanese version, they’re getting inconsistent results. Here are their exact words:
    If We install an ISS server on a Japanese machine and serve the application through it, the search function would retrieve 0 strings when DBCS chars are input, while using SBCS will give generate the full list of results….
    If the same application is served through IIS installed on a Single Byte machine, everything works fine… (DBCS and SBCS search are performed with no problems)

Basically the search function does not behave in the same way if ISS is installed on a Japanese machine or on an English machine.
    Specs:
    * v5
    * ASP search
    * UTF-8
    * sub-string matching enabled

They sent me their search index, which I can email to you if you think it will help.
    Last edited by Jeff Stallard; Sep-09-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: Edit

When you (or rather, your translator) say ISS, do they mean IIS? A bit confusing since both acronyms are used in the same paragraph. But there are so many things ISS could stand for, I'm not really sure what it is that you are referring to, or if it is just simply a repeated typo/misspelling.

Also not sure what he/she means by "a Single Byte machine", as that doesn't make much sense. Windows 98 and earlier doesn't support Unicode natively, so technically, that might be considered such a thing. But all later versions of Windows do. Can't imagine anyone trying to run a web server on 98.

So I can only presume that it was intended to be a reference to a server with an English version of Windows installed and using English language/regional settings by default.

Most likely, I think it is a conflict of locale and regional settings are described in the FAQ here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#setlocale

See the solution "for ASP/IIS users" described in the above link.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes, sorry, that's supposed to be IIS in both places.

You're probably right that they mean a server with an English version of Windows. I'm just the liaison, and not very knowledgeable about the world of translation. I'll try adding the code to our search page and see what that does. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Unfortunately, adding that code didn't work. Is there anything else you can think of that could cause this? We're all out of ideas.

Comment

You should also make sure you are using the final release of Zoom V5. This would be V5.1 build 1017. You can check your current build via "Help"->"About" in the Indexer application window. You can download this release here:
          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/version5history.html

If you are using the final release, then you might want to see if this happens with V6. You can install V6 alongside V5 on the same machine, and you can use the Free Edition to check if it behaves any differently before upgrading properly.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Interesting project, Jeff! Have you tried it V6 yet, like Ray suggested? Hmm, maybe I will try to do another language version too. How many different language versions of Zoom are actually out there?
            «A word is a lot.» — Etgar Keret

Comment

There is only one language version of Zoom, but it can be used to index sites of different languages. More information here:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/languages.html

This is an area we often improve on with each version, so V6 is likely to have resolved a few issues that might have popped up in V5.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Slightly off topic response, but it's relating to translation, so I suppose it's not too off topic:

Does anyone know how Google views translations of words?

For example, if I had a site ranking for the word "Yes", would it also rank for the word "Si" and "Oui"?

Or if someone links to my site with the word "Oui" would google also see it as a link for the word "Yes"?

I ask because one of my forums gets a lot of international visitors so I'd imagine people are linking in all sorts of languages!

Sorry for the slight off-topic!
                A Zoom newbie!

Comment

Yes, totally off topic.
                  This forum is about the Japanese and Zoom search engine software.

It isn't really about how Google works.

Comment

Working...
                  X