PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Title of page" lists my URL: www.mysite.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Title of page" lists my URL: www.mysite.com?

After indexing my site, the "Title of page" lists my URL: www.mysite.com. I want the link to the file to be listed. Need help determining why this is happening. Thanks.

Have you checked, maybe the title on the pages concerned really is www.mysite.com ?

Are these HTML pages? What is in the <title> tag?

Comment

Why is website url in title of page-not link to file?

Actually, all was well prior to yesterday before I updated the index to reflect the new pdf file entries. The listings showed the link to the document; then after indexing the links changed to the URL. Noting that nothing change in my configuration file prior to re-indexing site; I checked the settings.php and search.php to make sure they were located in the search directory-they were. So, I'm not sure why the title of the page is the URL; it should be a link to the pdf file.

goto
      http://www.abdmatrix.com/site/html/repository2.shtml
      and submit query

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

I did a search for "test".
        The number one result was this page,
        http://www.abdmatrix.com/phcdl/file.php?id=2688

Then looking at the HTML <title> tag on this page I found this,

<head>
        <title>ABD Matrix.com</title>

So Zoom is correctly picking up the title tag from your pages.

If you want a different title, then you should adjust the text in the <title> tag.

Comment

Title issue

I do not want the title of the page. I just want the user to see a link to the document; the title is unnecessary. Is there a setting in the config that will show the link to the document in lieu of the title?

Comment

Yes. Under "Configure"->"Results Layout" in the indexer, uncheck "Title of page". It will now show the full URL as the clickable link of the search result.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Title issue

Ok. Although, I was looking for a function that linked the actual title of the document instead of a cryptic link to the file. For instance, the document title below would be indexed and the the doc's title would be linkable

Sample Link below:
              "The open hole tensile test - a challenge for virtual testing of composites.pdf" instead of http://www.mysite.com/folder/test/php.id.html

Thanks.

Comment

That is NOT "the actual title of the document". I think you're a bit confused as to how a web page works.

For example, the actual title of the page here: http://www.abdmatrix.com/phcdl/file.php?id=2688

... is what appears in the title bar of your browser window, or what's inside the <title> tag when you click "View Source" of that page.

As noted before, that is, "<title>ABD Matrix.com</title>"

Your CMS (Content Management System), which appears to be called "PHCDownload", is failing to specify a useful title for each page.

That page above is also NOT a PDF file. It is a HTML page which provides a text description and a link to a PDF file (presumably once you login since no link is visible without logging in).

There is no way any automated spider, program, or search engine, should automatically decide that the filename "A comparison of CEN and ASTM Test Methods for Composite Materials.pdf" which happens to appear somewhere on that page, should be the representative "title" of the page.

That knowledge is within PHCDownload, and it should be PHCDownload's responsibility (and only it can do this) that needs to specify that as the title of the page if it wants to be indexed as such. Perhaps it's not configured correctly? Otherwise it's a shortcoming of that CMS. Note that this deficiency would also affect your rankings on Internet-wide search engines such as Google since a large number of pages on your website would all have the same title.

However, perhaps more interestingly for you, I would imagine, is to index the actual PDF file rather than this description page. In which case you should look into configuring authentication since your CMS will not provide a link to the PDF file unless logged in and there would be no way to access the PDF file otherwise.

But if you did actually intend to only index the description page and not the PDF file itself, then you can ignore that last paragraph.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Link Title

Thanks for expatiating on this topic Ray. I will explore the configuring authentication function to access the actual PDF file rather than this description page.

Comment

Working...
                  X