Keywords not registering in searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keywords not registering in searches

i made this page http://www.the-nspschool.com/nsprc/Webinars/BrilliantBody/index.html with the following keywords

<meta name="keywords" content="circulatory system, circulatory, digestive system, digestive, glandular system, glandular, hepatic system" />

but for some reason when i search for say.. digestive system, the page comes up, but not with the title digestive system, any search with the word system in it seems to bring up the search result "Circulatory System" but i have not made a a title or description with those words. so i'm not sure why this is happening. here is the search page

http://www.the-nspschool.com/nsprc/search/search.php

i'm trying to put keywords on this page with the video titles so when someone is searching for a specific video it will link them to the page with that video.

That is strange. I indexed that page directly here and did not pick up a "Circulatory System" as you did. It picked up the correct title of "Brilliant Body".

I can only think of a few possible causes for what you're seeing:

(a) Are you indexing with Offline Mode or Spider Mode? If you are indexing with Offline Mode and indexing the files on your hard disk, then they might not be the same as the files we're indexing from (what's on your website). The files could be either totally different from what we're seeing, or they're files which contain server-side scripting (e.g. PHP code) which results in creating different HTML output when it is executed and accessed through the web server. You must use Spider Mode if you are indexing files containing server-side scripting.

(b) Are you manually uploading or copying the index files to your web server? There is a possibility that you have mixed files from different indexing sessions. All files listed in the "Required Files" window at the end of indexing must be uploaded to the same folder. This includes all the .zdat files as well as "settings.php" and "search.php". If you neglect to copy and overwrite one of these files, you will end up having a mix of files from the latest index session, and some files from a previous index session, and unexpected behaviour can occur.

If you still have problems and the above doesn't narrow down the cause, e-mail us with your .zcfg configuration file and we can take a closer look. Note that if you are indexing with Offline Mode, we won't be able to scan the same files you are indexing unless you send them to us too.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

(a) i thought it was the offline mode too, so i then did spider mode and the same thing was happening so it doesnt seem to be that.

(b) i delete all old zoom files and create new ones so it cant be the old files.

could it have something to do with the web server itself?

Comment

i just an email with the config file

Comment

We tried indexing your site with your config file. We could not reproduce the problem you are having. You can see the resultant search page here:
          http://www.wrensoft.com/test/pharris/search.php

Check the following:
          (a) If you have modified "search.php" or "settings.php" in any way, let us know, as you may have changed the functionality/behaviour of the script.
          (b) You may be indexing from a cached copy of those pages. Make sure to have the option under "Configure"->"Spider options"->"Reload all pages (do not use cache)" checked.
          (c) After you re-indexed, did you make sure to upload the files to the correct folder. We may still be looking at the old search page and old search index, despite you having created a spider mode index. Check the date and time of the files on your server.
          (d) Does your server change behaviour when accessed by a local IP address (yours) versus when it is accessed by us remotely? Hard to imagine why this would be the case.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

ok option b seemed to work, i guess it was reading the old cache files for some reason. thanks alot!

Comment

one more thing, is there a reason why the search shows 2 copies of the same page?

Comment

The URLs are different in each case, so technically they aren't the same page, even if the content is similar or the same.

If you are consistent in the use of the URLs on your site then this won't happen.

Alternatively you can turn on the "Duplicate page detection" function on the "Scan options" configuration window.

Comment

ok the duplicate page option seemed to work

Comment

is there a way to not include certain words on certain pages? there are pages that come up in the search that have nothing to do with the keyword searched but because that word is in the navigation menu it shows up. so i would like for those words not to be in the search results unless they are actually in the page content or videos, not the navigation

Comment

You can prevent parts of pages from being index by using <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> tags on your page.

Please see the following FAQ for more information,

How do I prevent parts of my webpage from being indexed (eg. exclude navigation menus, or page footers)?

Comment

Working...
                      X