Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could not download file?

Hi all,

I dunno if anyone else has seen this prob.
    We use Zoomsearch 4.2 on quite a big site (over 500 html pages) and since we installed this version we're getting intermittent parsing errors when we run it.

It will randomly fail to find files and come up wiv the error message...
    Could not download file: http://www.somesite.co.uk/somefolder...r2/page02a.htm [invalid URL or domain name.]

Yet the page IS on the server and IS correctly linked from our search start file.

OK..so we run ZS again. And this time it comes up wiv a totally different page that it sez it can't download.

So we run it a third time...and again it comes up wiv a totally different page that it sez it can't download!

Sometimes it reports just one file it can't find and at other times three or four, but each time we re-run it the files change - seemingly at random!

Sometimes we have to run it half a dozen times before it will stop reporting errors and it's getting to be a right PITA.

Can anyone help please?

Re: Could not download file?

ON EDIT...

I've got over the prob temporarily by running ZM on our local (offline) copy of the site and that pass was fine. And it seemed to pick up more info - i.e., the files were bigger.

Is there any reason why it should be OK run locally and not online on the server?

I'd prefer to run it on the server simply coz if there are any REAL errors (like I've forgotten to upload something or buggered something up!) ZM will find it for me so I can fix it.

Comment

You didn't post the URL for your site so we can't do any testing.

But my bet would be that you site has a problem. Either it is overloaded and can't keep up with the requests for pages or your hosting company is trying to throttle the load by deliberately ignoring some page download requests.

Both scenarios are bad for you (but save your hosting company money). It means that if you have more than 1 or 2 visitors to your site they will get errors while trying to browse your site.

There is also a third possibility. It could be that you internet connection is not reliable.

If you are using Zoom with more than one thread active, then change the number of threads to 1 (from the Zoom configuration window).

------
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Wrensoft
        You didn't post the URL for your site so we can't do any testing.
        Sorry about that. I didn't want ppl to think I was pimping or draw attention to our board for obvious reasons. Here it is:
        Utterpants

But my bet would be that you site has a problem. Either it is overloaded and can't keep up with the requests for pages or your hosting company is trying to throttle the load by deliberately ignoring some page download requests.
        Well any of that is posssible I guess as we don't have root access to the server. The site is on a reseller account. But we do have a 35GB bandwidth allocation and the server is on a fast pipe to the main UK backbone in Telehouse, in London. And we've never had any complaints about access from the 4,000 odd unique visitors we get a day.

There is also a third possibility. It could be that you internet connection is not reliable.
        I doubt that. We're on a 4Mbit DSL line.

If you are using Zoom with more than one thread active, then change the number of threads to 1 (from the Zoom configuration window)
        OK, I'll try that. Thanks. Wot about running it locally? Are there any disadvantages in doing that?

I don't want you guys to think I'm knocking your product. We love ZM and so do our visistors. It's a million times better than the Google search doodads our competitors use.

Comment

ON EDIT..
          I just ran ZS in single-thread mode; no errors at all. I repeated it twice, still no errors. Yahaaay! You're a star, David, Thanks. I guess our server is refusing some connections, or timing out. We do intermittently have trouble wiv mod gzip so this may not be unrelated to that.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,
          Keli

Comment

I did a quick test with 10 threads on your site, but couldn't get it to fail. But being so far away we have much higher network latency than you.

Maybe it was a temporary glitch on your server or on the internet connection between your machine and your server.

You might try switching back to 2 or 3 threads next time you re-index to see if the problem has gone away.

----
            David

Comment

Working...
            X