Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search offline website

Hi,

I would like to find out more about Zoom search engine before I puchase. I have about 400 htm pages to be distributed in CD. Is there any limitation to use Zoom Search Engine to index all my pages?

Appreciate if some of you can share your experience with me.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jenny

No so many people are lurking in the forums. They tend to come when they have just started using the software & have a problem. Once their question is answered they don't monitor the forum anymore. So you might not get a lot of feedback from other users.

You should be able to do what you want to do. You'll need the Pro version for 400 pages.

But have a read of these two FAQ questions.

Q. How do I create a self-contained search engine that runs on a CD-ROM (using JavaScript) without a webserver?

Q. Are there other, more powerful options, for adding a search engine to a CD-ROM?

----
    David

Comment

Guess I'm lurking now

In response to your question, Jenny, this sofware is probably what you're looking for.

My company is using it to index our HTML documentation and make it searchable. We also distribute the documentation on CD or DVD to clients. You will almost definately need the Pro version, but it's well worth it.

There are some notable limitations, as spelled out on this site, regarding CD distribution. You will most likely be using the Javascript version of the search engine, so some of the advanced features will not be available. But, for 400 pages, you shouldn't have much of a problem at all. I know one of our documents is in the thousands of pages and the javascript search engine handles it easily.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Comment

Just to clarify the comment about limitations on CD distribution. There is no limit on the number of CDs that can be distributed and no royalties to be paid per CD.

There are certainly technical limits in the JavaScript language however. This is what I assume Matthew was referring to. For example, JavaScript will only handle index files up to about 10MB. Then you need to switch you using other scripting languages (which can be more complicated to implement on a CD).

-----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X